Is this really legal?

I heard somewhere that credit card companies were no longer allowed to send credit card applications for "pre approved" cards through the mail with the actual card inside it.

If this is in fact true, why is it legal for the same companies to send pre-paid debit cards through the mail without first asking you?

I thought the entire idea of not sending the cards unless they were asked for was a way to prevent identity theft?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• but Scout mom, they can still put money on it and use your identy. I mean if somebody mailed you an empty Target card and you had to go to the store and put money on it that would be okay, because those don't have your name on them. I don't know what anon is talking about. I've never gotten anything like that. I do know that you can tell them not to send you anything. I hate getting the checks in the mail from the credit card companies. Ineed to call them and tell them to knock if off. I'm never going to use them and they are wasting trees!
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:57 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• A preapproved debit card really doesn't do anyone any harm, since you have to put money on it to use it. It's not like a credit card where someone can activitate and use it and then you are stuck with the bill.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:48 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• not sure, didn't know you could get debit cards from anyone but the bank... for which you have to sign up for.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:40 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• It's exactly what I said. a pre-paid debit card, you charge it or decide how much of your pay check to put on it like a direct deposit kind of thing. I called the company and told them to remove me from their spam list but i am shocked they can even do that!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I don't know what your talking about. They don't put ACTUAL debit cards and ACTUAL credit cards on those things....they're fake unless you call and sign up for one.
    They don't have working bar code swipe strips on the back.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• This one did, working strip and all!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:11 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• The person stealing it would have to put their own money on the card. Even if your name is on it they can't spend more than they load on the card.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:40 AM on Jun. 25, 2011