Would you switch doctors just because.....

it was closer to your Mother In law or DH's work?

I need to have a female exam here in the next few months and DH has less than 6 hours of vacation time left for the year.

Normally, this is no problem but as a stay at home mom I don't have a babysitter or any friends who can just drop everything to watch my kids who live an hour away from them.

MIL gets off at noon every Wednesday and i would like to ask her to keep the kiddos while I have my appointment but the problem is, my doctor is an hour from her house (we live in the country) and it just seems silly to have her drive 2 hours just to watch the kids for 45 minutes.

Or I can schedule my appointment near DH's work and hope that I can get an afternoon appointment for sometime after 4pm when he gets off... but again, he works in town near his parents and it's an hour drive each way.

Would you switch your doctor to be closer to family so that you have someone you trust 100% and don't have to pay to keep an eye on your two daughters or would you just suck it up and look for a local sitter?

Not sure which category this should go in... health, relationships or money..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• I would consider changing doctors if you have no sitter or if you could find a sitter around your area I would try that to. But you have to consider what you think is best for you and your children.
    shelle21

Answer by shelle21 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• People switch doctors all the time because the office location or hours are inconvenient for them.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:43 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I don't see a big deal in switching Dr's because of convenience. I'd feel more comfortable if my kids were with family.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 8:49 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• How old are the girls.. i worked in a gyn office and when mommies came with their kiddos we would just watch them in the lobby. We only had 3 docs and our docs wanted the clinic to be more like family then a doctors office though.. so I dont know if they all work that way.
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 9:17 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• You want to change docs so it's more convenient for your mother in law to watch your kids, which I understand. But is it going to make it less convenient for you? I mean, how much would you pay a sitter vs. how much you will pay in gas to go to her house, go to the doctor, go back to her house and then go home? Ask around among your friends to get recommendations for a sitter you can trust, or use a website like...oh, I can't remember the name right now, but I've seen their ads. They do background checks and stuff, too.

In the end, there's nothing wrong with either way you go here.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:50 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• either way you'll have to make the drive.. the difference is, there is an extra hour drive both ways if you have it close to home vs. close to family because you have to drive BACK to your appointment, then BACK to pick up the kids..
    pending on the number or age of the kids you oculd bring them along as well.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:57 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• That would be up to you but I always took my children with me everywhere I went.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:21 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My kids are 2 and 5. the doctors office won't watch them in the lobby. Yes it would be a bit of a pain for me driving an hour for every appointment but i think the kids getting to see gran would be worth the gas.. just not sure
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:10 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I think any of these options are good options. I personally would be concerned about not having an emergency sitter close by though! Maybe this is a good opportunity to shop for one?
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 11:32 AM on Jun. 24, 2011