Black Santa??

LOL So I just got the funniest call in the world. My 7 yr old neice called and said "Aunt Mar! I went to see santa and he had brown skin!!!" Then she gave the phone to my sis who proceeded to piss and moan about a black man being the Santa at the mall. Uh, ok? Does that bother anyone else? Personally I don't care. Santa is a man. I don't recall anywhere saying that he had to be a white man. I think it's cool. My neice didn't seem to mind either, she was just upset that she didn't get her pic with him.

MarlyeGirl

Asked by MarlyeGirl at 9:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Personally, if there was a black Santa at the mall I would piss on myself trying to get there fast enough. I have the hardest time trying to find one of those. Anything but my plain ass white Santa. Not to mention my white ass Santa looked stoned last year. Sorry. I have a beef about this one. My son is black and I have such a hard time with it. I think a great service the malls or local department stores can do is advertise that they are going to have a black Santa or latino Santa or whatever...I would be there so fast and pay extra. Last year a local place did advertise but the I didn't hear about it until it was too late. The lines were so much longer for that Santa than they were at the trendy mall. Hey, Santa is for every ethnicity. But I really would like for once my son to sit on the lap of a Santa that actually looked like him.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:04 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I don't think Santa needs to be white. Nobody has even seen him. What if he really is black?
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 9:18 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• What if he's asian or latino? All I can say is that when santa is described he has rosey cheeks and a belly like jello. NEVER heard a white skin thrown in there. I just don't see why my sister is having such a cow over it.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 9:20 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• i think that is funny who cares what color he is as long as he brings me what i want. lol
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I don't see a problem with it either. If the neighbors can have a black nativity scene out in their front yard and we see black Santa stuff at the store...why shouldn't there be a black Santa at the mall? Why does he have to be white? I bet when she's older she'll remember the year she didn't get to take her picture with the black Santa....hmm ~ food for thought.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 9:22 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Where are you from? Where I live Santa is anyone you want him to be. For your FYI For our African-American Children Santa is AFrican-American. We don't teach them Santa is white.
    Sis.Jackson

Answer by Sis.Jackson at 9:23 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I think that's great -- it's like going to different parts of the country or to other countries and seeing the world through different eyes. Just because St Nick started out as a jolly white man doesn't mean he can't be portrayed differently now!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 9:27 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• That's so sad that your sister couldn't look past skin color and see what a neat, new experience this was for her child. The little girl thought it was cool and didn't bat an eye. Besides, most kids end up thinking the mall Santas are Santa's Helpers - not really Santa so why can't Santa's Helpers (or even Santa) be any old color that people come in?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• The story of Santa began in Germany, therfore Santa is White, I am African American and I teach my daughter the legend and story of Santa and he's white. Thats great for those who want to be diverse and have a black santa.
    Anonymous

• My nephew once asked me what color Santa was...I responded that Santa is like a chameleon...he's whatever color, shape, size a child wants him to be. And that the Santa's we see at the mall, aren't the real ones...they are just his helpers. When you close your eyes and picture santa, that's what he looks like.
    SLCMOMMY

Answer by SLCMOMMY at 10:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2008