Are there any CM'ers who have made "Rag Rugs" or currently have one going??

Another new creative hobby for me (that's inexpensive). I'm excited about it.
I'm planning to start making a " rag rug " this weekend with a lot, of clearanced material I purchased really cheap. I recently went through my home, room by room and donated all the old clothing so....I didn't have any old things to make rag rugs from so, I thought this was the best way.
How did you learn to make rag rugs?
Do you use crochet hook or by hand?
How many have you made?

I learned by watching a you-tube video actually. It didn't seem hard at all. I just hope it turns out looking really nice and I'm wondering how long they actually last and do they wash well?

KellyGirl_TX

Asked by KellyGirl_TX at 8:42 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Many years ago I made one. It was maybe 2x3. It washed very well. It really depends on the size and the fabric.
    I have made woven rag placemats and table covers.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:55 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• is that kind of like the plastic bags you use to make a bag or purse or rug? I love the look of those and have always wanted to make one
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:46 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My grandmother hand braids the material together after sewing the fabrics into 3 long strips. Then, she uses fishing line type thread to sew the braids together in a rug shape :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 2:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My Aunt introduced them to me. I use crochet hook. I quilt so scraps are easy to come buy and you tube is an amazing craft school. I learned to knit with you tube!

wmbeener

Answer by wmbeener at 12:59 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• zoejains_momma--I think it's the same thing. I will have to google that and see because I have about a million plastic groc bags that I keep forgetting to take to recycle bin at groc store. I would love to see something made with them. Maybe a pouch for my doggies toys, collars, leashes comes to mind right away.
    Hey look! I just googled this: for example http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=87737.0
    KellyGirl_TX

Comment by KellyGirl_TX (original poster) at 9:39 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• tootoobusy--I should have known you've probably done it! I'm always late on discovering things out there when it comes to recycling hobbies, LOL. Cool, and thank you for your answer!! :D
    KellyGirl_TX

Comment by KellyGirl_TX (original poster) at 9:41 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/328037/recycle_craft_make_a_dog_leash_from.html

Here's the dog leash too!
    KellyGirl_TX

Comment by KellyGirl_TX (original poster) at 9:43 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• my mom used to make these she used a big crochet hook.
    CarrieR62

Answer by CarrieR62 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I bought the big crochet hook , just in case, but the video I learned from,, the lady did it by hand only. When it was finished it was really pretty. Also, I have a neighbor (few blocks over) who recently decorated a little "shed" in back of property into a guest bedroom. She had "rag rugs" made from spare satin ribbons and old sheets ...they were square and hung on the wall....beautiful. They just looked so elegant!!
    I love crafts & hobbies, Lol There is just SO much you can do out there today.

Thank You All for your answers...I'm glad to know others still do this. I think it's rare and people forget about it actually.
    KellyGirl_TX

Comment by KellyGirl_TX (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Jun. 26, 2011