Why didn't you vote?

I saw many moms here on CM almost proudly proclaiming they didn't vote and don't follow politics because "it doesn't affect me". How can you not see that what is going on in our state and national capitols DOES affect you and WILL affect your children?
Why can't we see that our apathy is a big part of what is destroying this once great nation? Our system of govt only works when we have an informed and active electorate.

I just don't get it. Can someone explain it to me?

Friday

Asked by Friday at 9:12 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Twenty-two million single women did not vote in the 2000 election. In Florida that would have meant over 200,000 additional votes would have been cast. The 2000 presidential election was decided by 537 votes in the state of Florida. Many elections in this country have been decided by very few votes. In fact, women won the right to vote in the United States in 1920 by a single vote cast in the Tennessee legislature. In 1960, John F. Kennedy was elected President of the United States by less than one vote per precinct. One vote does indeed count.

texasMOMto4

Answer by texasMOMto4 at 10:29 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I didn't vote bc I wasn't registered and I didn't think Obama had a chance. I wish I had voted since I was obviously wrong but it really doesn't matter bc Mccain won my state anyways.
    Anonymous

• I was in the hospital with major injuries or I would have voted.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 9:18 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I didn't vote because neither of the candidates spoke for me. I cared for neither of them. I didn't see the point on giving either one the head over the other. I knew from the beginning that Obama would win and I didn't see any point in fighting it.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 9:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I used to be that way. I wasn't proud that I didn't vote I was just apathetic towards it all. I wasn't interested in politics so had no clue what was going on and therefore didn't believe I was qualified to vote on the issues. And I didn't think it really mattered.
    This was the first year I was interested and thought it mattered but I didn't vote because I forgot to send my registration form in on time. D'oh.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Voting involves much more than the federal government. You vote for those in your town and state who do affect what happens to you and your family, whether it be new laws put into place, or increased taxes on things like water usage. Same deal with the state. Voting doesn't involve only the President. It's who you vote into your state legislature that determine who becomes the president.

Vote for the people who will speak for you and what you want them to do.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:25 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I had planned on voting but my husband got transferred to another state with his job and I wasn't able to change my registration in time.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 10:43 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I didn't vote because I'm not a US citizen, I'm a resident alien :) But hubby voted for me I guess, cause he couldn't make up his mind on the presidential ballot. He knew I had watch a lot of news and did my research on it cause I get so bored at work, so he voted for who I thought was the better man for the job :)
    Anya0409

Answer by Anya0409 at 10:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I didn't vote because I refuse to be held responsible for what goes on the next 4 years.
    stephsupermom

Answer by stephsupermom at 10:53 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• Keep in mind that there was more than just the Presidential election on the last ballot. We elected congressional representatives, city council people, school board members and judges. We voted on bond issues and proposed laws.

There is SO MUCH that you miss when you don't vote. Don't be a single issue voter; you cheat yourself and your community.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:10 PM on Dec. 13, 2008