In my hometown last night..a 16 year old boy shot his mom in the face...

She was a severe alcoholic & beat him regularly (neighbors witnessed).
The police & CPS were involved...they did nothing.
He snapped & murdered her..
He's in custody now..

Do you think he should go to prison for the rest of his life considering the life he lived?

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 9:49 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Doubtful there is a single person (let alone the reporters writing about it) who knows the true story of what went on in that house besides the boy and his mother. Speculating is easy, but the truth could be he was in fear for his life if he left, or that he was a bigger threat to her than she was to him. At those point, the best thing to hope for would be that he gets help, because whoever is at fault, he needs it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• There are other ways of getting out of a terrible situation like that. I feel awful for the boy :o(

That isn't always true. If CPS and the police were involved, there is nothing that can be done. I'm going through this with my SD. She isn't being abused, she is the abuser. I've been begging for help for her for a long time. These agencies just figure they are kids.

Opposite for this boy since he is the one being abused, but the only recourse he had was running away, which would have brought him back home where he probably would have been beaten some more, IF he didn't fall victim to a predator while he was out there.

I'm not one on being lenient with children who commit crimes. Adult crime, adult time. But in this case it sounds like his only way out. I think intensive counseling is in order. A place where he can be reprogrammed and learn life skills. Not jail.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• IDK...but thats awful! I
    YerMami24

Answer by YerMami24 at 9:51 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Depends, was she in the middle of attacking him when he shot her? There are other ways of getting out of a terrible situation like that. I feel awful for the boy :o(

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:53 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I'm torn on this..
    on one hand, he WAS 16 and legally could have walked away at that point to go anywhere or stay with anyone else.. he knew what he was doing...

but then I think.. wait, if it was a girl that age being abused by her father.. I'd say she 100% was within her rights..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:42 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• There's no excuse for killing his mother. NONE. If he makes excuses for himself now he will do in the future. Raging alchy or not he was almost free of it until he made that dreadful mistake.
    I read yesterday that in a study kids today have 40% less empathy than they did 20 years ago. Games and the media have taken a healthy can do kid and numbed them.I'm sure his mother played a part in his numbing as well.
    If the kid had a job,along with school,he wouldn't be home all the time enduring it until he snapped.
    CHarlan

Answer by CHarlan at 11:47 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• attap5, that IS always true. There is always someone you can turn to. I'm sure he had family who would have helped out. He should have made it known to school, CPS, the cops, etc. DAILY if nobody was doing anything about it. My upbringing was far from peachy but I would never kill my abuser. I understand that not everyone has the same self-control that I do, but it is NOT ok to kill just because someone is beating you. If your husband got in a fist fight and the other guy shot him, would you think that was fair? You can't use excessive force to defend yourself. I don't know enough of the story to have a definite decision, BUT based on what i do know, he was definitely wrong to shoot and kill his mother.

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 12:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I know! I couldn't believe it!!
    SuperrMommyy

Comment by SuperrMommyy (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• It is difficult to say without a clear assessment of the 16 year old and all the facts leading up to the moments before. It would be easy to say this kid was traumatized and abused and needs help not long term prison. It would be easy to say he knew at 16 what he was doing. It would also he easy to blame the school, social services, and law enforcement. But in my experience these situations are never that easy and the who is to blame question more complex. I have made such calls to social services to report unsafe situations where there is a high risk potential for a very hurtful (murderous) event. And while I am covering my ass and doing what I can to hopefully set things in motion - other agencies are limited to. With ER's sending kids back to mental health, mental healt sending them to the primary care doctor, primary care doctor sending them to the therapist, the therapist
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:45 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• calling mental health and social services....who refer it back to the doctor. I sometimes wonder why I keep doing what I do. We have a true crisis in our health care and there is no such thing as a community coordination of at risk situations. But a ton of pointing fingers and no one stepping up. What o know for sure - it will get worse. These incidents happen all the time. So much so they barely make tge news.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:49 AM on Jun. 24, 2011