Any proven coping mechanisms for pain during natural childbirth you ladies want to share?

25 weeks pregnant with #5 and I want to try going natural. With #4, I had no choice but to go natural because baby arrived within an hour of me getting to hospital. What got me through the pain then was saying to myself, I'll be getting an epidural soon, I'll be getting an epidural soon. Since I plan on not having an epidural this time, what else can I do to deal with the pain?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 9:51 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Good for you for choosing natural. I was actually going to tell you to use the self-hypnosis that you already did, but use it with "my baby will be in my arms soon." Tell yourself that it is best for the baby. Read a little on the epidural, all the stuff, like the side effects and during labor you will be more comforted knowing you are doing what is best for the baby. Know this, after that baby is out, the pain is pretty much gone. A few more contractions for the placenta but you barely notice because you are overwhelmed with the new baby. The head is the worst part. After the head, it's a lot easier. Of course you still have your little soreness afterwards like before, but you know that only lasts a day or so. Congratulations!
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 9:55 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• i took a shower and it sped things up quickly ...
    jenn660

Answer by jenn660 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I just relaxed breathed through my contractions and listen to my ipod. I watched the clock when I had a contractions and just kept telling myself, you only have 40 more sec., you only have 20 more sec and so on. I took each contractions one at a time. I know my body. I know when I get to the point that I can't take it any more I have about an hour left. I tell myself that I can handle this for one my hour. Good luck to you. If your fourth labor was fast, your fifth labor will probably be fast too.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I had my first 3 natural. Have a focus item. Bring a picture or a figurine and use that to focus on during contractions while breathing. Of course the breathing helps alot too. Get up and move around where you are comfortable if you arent hooked up to anything you should be ok. My birthing room had a shower and tub I got in both. I had birthing balls etc too I used.

Answer by gemgem at 10:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Where to begin? lol Sooo much:

Confidence, laughter, help...

Changing positions, totally free to do what you want when you want.

A supportive atmosphere and attendants.

I can offer a lot of info-- do you want books, classes, a birth doula?
    Are you birthing in the hospital, do you have an OB?
    How important is this to you?
    Why is it important to you?

doulala

Answer by doulala at 10:36 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Honestly what kept me going was the thought that soon it will all be over and I'll get to see my baby and I wont be pregnant anymore. Also my mom and husband were there with me and they just talked quietly amonst themselves and left me alone and just listening to them talk was very peaceful for me and soothing. And of course beathing helped during contractions too.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 12:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2011