Can working as a server bring in enough money...

To make a living off of? 

I'm looking into serving, because nothing around here is hiring!  Every interview I have had, had been a flop, and even if I DO go to an interview, they only start out paying minimum wage, or just a hair above.  That would be fine, but... I have the following expences:

$220 a month lot rent

$40-$80 a month electric bill

$40-$60 a month water bill

AND... if I go back to work where my kids cant come, I have to pay $150-$200 a WEEK daycare bills!

Don't ask me about funding for childcare, I have tried that already, there is a waiting list til spring for that, so forget help with childcare!  There is a possiblility I could find a babysitter, and I do know of one girl who could do it, but she is 14, and wouldn't be able to do it all the time. 

I have served in a small family diner, but honestly, they never got busy enough to make much!  I used to work as a hostess at Cracker Barrel, and I'd see servers leaving some nights wit well over $100!  That would be terrific, now I do understand thats no an all the time thing, but even leaving with $50 a night wouldn't hurt!  I was just wondering about you servers, and how well you do (No numbers, please, just if you can pay utilities and aren't scrambling for money month after month) Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• First, if you work at the right place. Then if you have a good personality and service, you can do well from tips.
    RelaxedMom2-3

Answer by RelaxedMom2-3 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• if you work at a popular resturaunt and you're super nice to customers, really kiss their butts & smile smile smile, then yes you can most likely make it. i know alot of men & women who are servers and they make it pretty good.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• The child care is the kicker. I brought in a good load of money as a server. The problem with the serving jobs is there are often time split shifts. You get a two hour to three hour break between shifts. The best money comes from the suckiest hours.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 10:18 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• It can depending where you work. When I was a single mom I worked waiting tables. I got the good shifts once I could prove myself as a server though, and that can take some time. If you get the Thurs-Sunday shifts, and dinner shifts or Sunday after church ones you can make decent money. You also have to be p repared for double shifts which usually are coming in the morning 10-2, going home and coming back around 6-close. Hours arent guaranteed either. If they get slow they can send you home. I was making around $17 hr when I waited tables.

Answer by gemgem at 10:20 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Oh and pp is right. I had to hire a live in nanny. I paid for all her food, room and board and $175 a week.

Answer by gemgem at 10:39 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I waitressed and never made what everyone else did, but I couldn't smile through the being treated like a servant either. I bartended and that made quite a bit more money.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 10:46 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My cousins are both homeowners and do very well working at Hooters as servers. One is actually a bartender now. If you look good in shorts and a tight top consider that. They only work 4 nights a week they both married losers who don't work so they are able to support them too on their Hooters pay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I've been waiting tables for 11 years... Depends on the place you work, what shifts you work... etc. You can have the best attitude in the world, and if the customers aren't there, well, neither is the money. Daycare won't do you any good, since the money making shifts are mostly PM - and I know around here we don't have PM daycares - everyone closes at 6.

I used to serve in a bar/club - I had a lot of nights that I would walk with $150 (usually once or twice a week, the other nights were like $50-$75) but the hours were awful. I would go in at 5pm and get off at 3am. I hated it... but that's where I made the most money. Now, I'm paid hourly (serving in a retirement community) and don't get tips.... but at least I know what I'll be bringing home every week - although I miss the daily pay real serving gave me.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I was a server for about 10 years and I made more than other people did at full-time jobs but I didn't have insurance. It will depend on where you work, how often you work, what hours you work and if you're a good server.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 1:02 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• how about waiting tables and a home business? message me if you are interested...Good Luck!!
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2011