Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

God parents...

how would you go about talking to someone and letting them know you would like them to be your childs god parents? is there anything creative you could do? whos children here have god parents, do they have to sign papers or anything? i'm not sure how all this works!

Answer Question

Asked by pipsqueak01 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Relationships

Level 12 (801 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • You can hand this title out to whoever you want, but if you dont put it in a legal will it means absolutely nothing. I suggest saying "hey, me and DH are putting our will together and would really like to list you as god parent. Would you be willing to raise our kids if god forbid somthing ever happened to us?" I dont think this requires any more explaining. Bieng asked this is a great honor and show of trust and faith in another and anyone you would ask this is obviously going to get that, otherwise you wouldnt be asking them.

    Answer by Ms.Gwen at 11:04 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

  • just ask. make sure they are the right people to care for your child if something should happen to you.

    Answer by courtcaton at 11:13 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

  • Godparents have NO legal rights. If you are talking about someone who will be a legal guardian to your child, unless that person is the nearest blood relation it will need to go into your will and the legal term is guardian, NOT godparent.

    A godparent's sole responsibility is religious education, and that's handled through a church ceremony. Contact your pastor regarding that.

    Answer by gdiamante at 11:47 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

  • I think it is sort of unofficial ~

    Answer by tasches at 5:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

  • Godparents don't have any legal connection to your children; that's a guardian. Godparents are present at your children's baptism to promise that they will help in keeping your child in the faith in which he/she was baptised. Guardians have legal rights to your children should both you and your spouse die or become incapable of caring for them.

    Answer by lizmartinez at 6:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

  • i chose my my best friend and i asked by saying : "your an amazing person and if i want around i would want you to be there for him! would you be his god mother?" good luckk! <3

    Answer by Rydersmom95 at 2:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.