I can't get my 3 year old to let me put her eye drops in.

I've tried everything, bribing, calmly talking to her, trying to sneak them in. Nothing works. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Put them in the fridge so they sting less. Hold her and tell her to close her eyes. Put the drops in the corner where tears come out. When she opens her eyes they will fall in.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:53 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Have her lie down with her eyes closed. Put them on the inner eyes, on her lashes. They get through the lashes when she opens her eyes. Or Have her look at you and pull her bottom lid away from her eye. Slip them in there. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:55 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I have to lay my daughter down put my legs over her arms and then pry her little eyes open and drop them in. I know it sounds terrible, and she cries while I'm doing it but is fine after it is done. This is the only thing that works for us.
    damselphish

Answer by damselphish at 11:21 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I agree with the mompam. My daughter has the same problem. I also tell her that first we'll put a drop on her hand. That works most of the time (we have to do the same thing with Bactine when she gets a cut). It scares her much less. If it's just regular eye drops, I'll put them in my eyes as well (obviously this does not apply if it's pink eye medicine, etc!).
    cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 11:23 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Thank you ladies! I got them in :)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:34 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My sister wraps her daughter in a blanket and has someone strong bear hug her while she does it. It takes four hands, and it looks really horribe, but it did work.....She is autistic btw, so any reasoning isn't going to happen.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 24, 2011