Would you???

ok so my bf has some doughts that our baby is his..im only 20wks perggers and ive nver cheated on him..were not married but plan to be soon our, org date for our wedding was june 2nd when we got together but we didnt have the money we thought we would so its been postponed we havent reset a date..but i think since hes haveing thse doughts that the baby should have my last name..this is his 1st but my 2nd my dd has her bio dads name and i hate it and im going to change it to my lastname..and i made a promise to my self that if i ever got preggers then the baby would have my last mane unless i was married...would you do the same??

rachel216

Asked by rachel216 at 10:54 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• So if you give the baby you last name... which is totally your call... what happens if you get married in the future, then you child wont have your name or her dads name. you gonna change it on her/him? that seems a little confusing for a child. I had a son very young and had no intention of marrying his father but I still gave him his fathers name because I knew one day I wanted to get married and then we would end up having different names anyway. But i must say I hate being called mrs...(and my sons last name) but I get over it. Good luck :)
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 11:01 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• my dd dad is in and out of the pic she doesnt even know her lastname yet..and if we dont get married then 3/4 of us would have the same lastname...if we did then at least my dd would have my madien name instead of her pos dads name..nd the baby babies name we could change and not have an issue..thats kinda how im seenin it right now
    rachel216

Comment by rachel216 (original poster) at 11:13 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• i gave up kinda early with dd dad but i had my reasons for it..and i decided i wasnt going to give up on this one and i havent otherwise i prob would have left yesterday ..when he told his sister that if we did break up no worries bc he would get the baby..i was right there when he said that..
    rachel216

Comment by rachel216 (original poster) at 11:16 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• In my opinion, if you are not married, your child should have your last name, no matter how sure you are that he is the father. It can always be changed once you are married, it's really not difficult and if the child is young enough they won't be confused. My daughter was 3 1/2 when I changed her last name. She understood it was because I got married, my last name changed too, just like hers. She likes it because it makes her feel more like a "family". If the child is even older, you can always let the child decide if he/she wants to change the last name.

cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 11:19 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Give the baby your last name, it saves confusion especially if you have doubts on the relationship. It is really easy to get a childs last name changed once paternity is established. We changed my SD last name to both parents last names when she was 8. She got a new birth certificate, and I think it cost $30.
    Quinn525

Answer by Quinn525 at 1:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My daughter Has Her dads Last Name.. She knows it too.. we been together for 5 yrs and she is 3.. Im not ready for marriage but id rather have her dads last name then mine.. easier to change mine then change hers and mine, Plus He is a good dad and is there so I gave her his last name. to me it seems fair. unless he isnt going to be in her life at all then give her urs.. thats the way i see it
    Madilous08

Answer by Madilous08 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2011