How clean does a house have to be for guests out of state have to be?

this Saturday my husbands friend and his girlfriend are coming to visit and planning on staying at our house. my husband went on a cleaning freak and cleaned the whole basement, even vacuumed it.
I cleaned the kitchen other than mopping it, and our guest bedroom other than mopping it, i plan on doing that yet.
today is my cleaning day and i didn't sleep very good, and i have to clean the bathroom, the upstairs, finish laundry, vacuum out our van, dust, vacuum the living room, dishes, take a shower.
I just don't know how clean it should be, or how to get motivated to clean it when i didn't sleep very good and have a 9month old son and a 3 year old son.

2boysyahoo.com

Asked by 2boysyahoo.com at 11:03 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Most people who are entertaining guests will want to present a clean house. It sounds like it's more important to your husband than it is to you, so if he wants to clean (and he is), then I'm not sure what issue you're trying to resolve. Hell I'd love for my man to not be scared to clean.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 11:05 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• i am excited to since they come out of state and would love to clean its just i didn't get much sleep and i am so exhausted. i just hope i get a bounce when my kids go down for the 1pm nap so i can get stuff done.
    2boysyahoo.com

Comment by 2boysyahoo.com (original poster) at 11:08 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I would want it to be very clean, but clearly some things on your list are more important than others, so prioritize... make sure the room they are staying in is very clean and the bathroom. The van and laundry can wait.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:11 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I'd rather just suck it up and get it done. We've all had nights like this, and I can tell you - the embarrassment of my house not being spotless for guests, especially for people who don't realize it's normally spotless, would be enough motivation to get it cleaned.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:12 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I dont allow people over lol. My house is clean but my hous eis my haven so I dont like anyone visiting besides my inlaws, daughter or other family.

Answer by gemgem at 11:22 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Do your best. As my father used to say, "Worry about what you can do. Don't worry about what you can't." People come to visit with you, not critique the house.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 11:29 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I always have my house clean anyway.. but if I'm having guest, I dust sweep mop.. all that. Just make it look presentable.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:38 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• i say clean what you want, and if these people have a problem with it, then let them. you have two young children and other things to worry about than a picture perfect house that will only stay that way for a few hours. try and relax and enjoy your visitors :)
    flamingomegs

Answer by flamingomegs at 12:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I'm very particular, so I would want it pretty much spotless. lol My grandmother drilled that one into me, much to my disappointment. I wish I could be more relaxed about the house, really, as I'm especially bad when company is coming. I have OCD and take meds for it, but it doesn't really help with that aspect. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 1:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Eh, I would make sure the floors are picked up and vacuumed in the common rooms and guest room and that there aren't any rings around the toilet bowl or toothpaste splatters on the mirror and call it pretty much good. It doesn't have to be spotless but you want your guests to be comfortable in a tidy space for them.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2011