Seriously Annoyed!

I have told DH many many many times that when he wakes our daughter up he needs to change her diaper right away. She sleeps for about 11 hours, so her diaper is almost always full of pee. I tell him he also needs to at least check her diaper after nap as well. Well for the last few weeks whenever he wakes her up he just makes a bottle and leaves and when I go check on her she has an overflowing diaper! Also, half of the time that he wakes her up from naps he doesn't even check her diaper, and if he does, he doesn't do anything....I have gone to pick her up numerous times after he has woken her and she is poopy or pee pee!!! I am just getting soooo annoyed with telling him this every day, especially since it seems to go in one ear and out the other!

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 11:12 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• Take all his underwear/shorts/banana hammocks whatever he wears and dump them in the washing machine. Leave them to sit in water. When he wants to wear something & his only choices are heavy & waterlogged, maybe he'll have a little more empathy for his daughter, and not take dry underwear for granted anymore.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 11:29 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Yeah, my husband often does that, too.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 11:14 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Hang a sign by the crib that says, check my diaper when I wake up. I am sure he will pull the man line of "I forgot."
    momofkids

Answer by momofkids at 12:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Ok, I disgree with child care is the mother's responsibility...I should not have to be the only one taking care of the things she needs...and because he was already up when she woke up....I should say when he takes her out of the crib, we don't wake her up, but the first person to take her out of the crib is the person to change the diaper....that is the way we have been doing it for the last 6 months, until the last few weeks....and it is not like he is busy. In fact the last few weeks he has been getting off work really early and is home most of the day, so I think he can help me take care of his daughter....why should she be solely my job? She is not solely my child.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 11:57 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• We had the same issue with our baby girls night time diapers, we both change her if and when she wakes up in the middle of the night or early morning hours. I believe the responsibility of the children belongs to both parents, I'm a SAHM and hubby is the provider and still comes home and helps with meals, laundry, homework, bath time etc....but then again, I always say, that I have
    "one of the great ones"
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 6:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Child care is BOTH of the parents job!! My husband used to have that problem with our first son but now with our second son he really stepped up. He even does night time feedings! Sit down with your DH and have a long talk with him. Let him know your child can get really painful rashes!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 6:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• It took me about a month of handing hubby the baby with diaper in hand before he stopped the excuses for not changing a diaper. Whenever he's home and she needs a diaper change tell him: You need to change the babies diaper now. If he cops a fit or says "But I did the last one" tell him "Well, I did the last THREE before it. You're not getting out of this"

That was an ongoing argument in our house for the 6-7 years we had kids in diapers.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I agree w/you! I wonder how he would feel if he were in the same shoes and HE were lying there in "pee" and no one would change him, they just handed him something else to drink! He'd certainly have to be an empathetic person for that to make an impression on him. Best wishes in getting him to understand this!
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 11:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Well, I had to talk with him today and he has agreed that he hasn't been remembering to change her diapers when he gets her up in the mornings....normally I do it in the morning so he just isn't used to it...I slept in today because I got home from work at 4:30 am....but he has agreed that he should have changed her diapers right away and will get better at it...
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 11:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I think the majority of childcare should be the responsibility of the parent who is home most, whether that is mom or dad. I choose to stay home to take care of our son and home, so DH doesn't do much around here. However, his working provides us with what we have. I don't make him change diapers or anything else, so I can't empathize, though I can sympathize. DH is pretty good at changing a diaper if I'm in the shower or otherwise busy or if he's playing with out son at the time. Sorry momma!
    lizmartinez

Answer by lizmartinez at 6:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2011