S/O Do you think it should be unlawful to be exclusionary in how a parent teaches religion to their child?

That is, do you think that it should be illegal for parents to teach their religion to their children as superior to other religions? Like Christian parents teaching their children that Christianity is the only way to God?

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 11:31 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Religious Debate

• OP, I am pleasantly surprised that nobody seems to be in favor of making it unlawful for parents to teach religious concepts as they see fit. I am disappointed that the post was hijacked by all the personal insults.

My feeling on this is that if we had a law in place regulating how parents are to teach religion/faith, this would be a law of man in conflict with a law of God. As a Christian parent I have a responsibility to teach my children the way to God, and being a Christian I believe that Jesus is the Way (and not one of the ways).
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 1:34 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• There is and should be a separation of chuirch and state . This question would only arise under the tyranny of a theocracy .

But anonymous has a point . All education should be monitored to ensure all children receive a basic education in literacy, numeracy and the basic sciences . And teaching children creationism as opposed to evolution is a testament to ignorance .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Hell no. Why, because you don't believe it?

Luckily, we live in a nation where we are free to believe what we want to believe about god. Count yourself lucky, you could move to Saudi Arabia.

Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:33 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Creationism is faith-based fantasy . Evolution is science-based fact . I am happy that my children are taught science and not fantasy masquerading as truth . This is the twenty-first century , not the middle ages .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• No. That's part of freedom of religion. I think as long as you are not teaching your children to hurt others in the name of your religion you should be allowed your beliefs and the right to teach them.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:20 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Hmm.  I don't know.  Let's try substituting "religion" with another hot-button issue like "race":

That is, do you think that it should be illegal for parents to teach their race to their children as superior to other races? Like Aryian parents teaching their children that Aryian is the only way to God?

Oh, my.  Is it just me, or does that simple substitution change the whole feel of the discussion?  What makes religion something that should be treated with kid gloves?  If we frown on parents who teach their children to be racists, why not frown on parents who teach their  children to unquestioningly follow their religious dogma?  Legal or illegal may not be the right question here. . . 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 3:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Philosophy isn't a religion, nor is Atheism.  Check your definitions--philosophy is the study of basic concepts.  

I don't teach my children that Atheism is superior to anything. I'm not that arrogant. I am trying to teach them to think things through--to analyze using whatever information is available, and to seek out information to draw their own conclusions. I don't try to get them to "believe" anything based on my decision that it's the right thing to believe. I am not privy to all information, but I'm willing to look at what's available and question things. That's what I want my children to do. I don't want them to be given a very limited viewpoint and be told that that's the only way to believe.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 3:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Now that I think about it, it does seem a bit criminal--to tell them to believe what I do, or else ('else' in your case, I guess would be 'eternal damnation'--what a frightening concept to present to a child!) and that everyone who does not believe what I believe is equally damned. Yikes! 

No, thank you.  I am doing my best to teach my children to think, learn and analyze.  If, in their freethinking, they should end up believing in some version of god, so be it.  It might seem oxymoronic, but at least they will have reached that conclusion using their own brains, rather than being told what to think.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 3:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Should it be illegal? No.

Is it potentially harmful? Yes.

Can childhood brainwashing be overcome? Still working on it.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 7:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• No.

I'm wondering when we just get to parent without someone or group trying to dictate how.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 11:40 AM on Jun. 24, 2011