My DS has such bad ADHD he can't even eat! -please help us...

He has barley passed grades-in fact without and iep he would have failed Kindergarten... He can not eat a meal without getting up and wandering around. I give him 3 chanced then he looses his plate. The he gets so mad he is in a rage-so he gets in trouble or that to-sent to his room- privilege/loss. You can't take him to the movies he wanders around. It is so bad he can't even play with other kids. They try to play with him and he plays a for a min or so then just wanders off. even when he tries to get kids to play with him he drops the game with no warning and the other kids think he is weird. I don;t want to medicate him though. Is there something natural? The poor child is 7 and has no friends and can't even sit still to eat plus he stays in trouble! HE just seems so high strung. Everything seems to make him angry... how can I help him. I have read every parenting book out there and nothing seems to completely work for him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jun. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• does he have any LAKE dyes in his food (read labels)
    if so - take all artifical dyes out
    this helps my daughter a lot!

also have taken out BHA, BHT, TBHQ, MSG
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:52 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• OPPS
    sent too soon

no artifical sweentner

but start with LAKE dyes
    red 40, yellow 5, blue 1 are the most used
    banned in other countries, but not in US (someone making some money to have this in food ) LAKE dyes start out as coal tar
    how anything that is waste from fuel source becomes food - i have no idea- do not care how many chemical prodesses you put coal tar through - it does not become food

hope he is eating this stuff, because taking out will help
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:54 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I don't know what any of those things are...except the MSG, that is Chinese food right? He doesn't eat a lot of artificial food though. Is there like some kind of viatmin I can give to make him not be so high strung? I want him to be able to play with other kids. He just can't seem to. It makes me sad he has no friends and always plays alone.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Oh my gosh..I have the same problem even to this day with my son constantly getting up and wandering around. I wish I could help, but my son is nearly 7 and we're still dealing with this. We have found for my son that red food dye is a sure trigger for hyping him up, even on medication. It's almost like he never got any once he's eaten something with it..so we avoid that. As far as keeping him in his chair..well, haven't figured that out yet!
    My advice to you is this..consider medication. It has helped my son tons, and we can finally see the side of him that can't come through because of the hyperactivity and impulsivity of ADHD. He was also diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome...which is very common, and I read in a book that many kids first diagnosed with ADHD end up dx'd with Asperger's. Your son needs some normalcy, and if there are no positive feedbacks given to him because of a disorder he has no control over..then it's...
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 12:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• seriously time to consider medication. My son would be so much worse off if we hadn't. He has an IEP as well, but because of the Daytrana patch he wears on his hip everyday, he was able to complete his work in school, wasn't getting in trouble everyday, and finally had something to feel good about himself. Please, for the sake of your son, and his future, and his current relationships with family and his other peers...don't consider medication for him a sign of weakness, but EMPOWERMENT. It's not going to cure his condition which will be lifelong, but it will help manage it (kinda like a diabetic needs insulin to manage their diabetes) and give him a chance to get some positive feedback instead of always getting into trouble and ruining his self-esteem. I have walked in your shoes, and I understand your frustrations, fears, and the judgement that family and strangers have towards you, and self-doubt. Your son is worth it!!!!
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 12:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• What is Aspergers? Did the school diagnose it? How do I make the school test for that?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• lake dyes are used in foods inthe US

when you hear the old saying about kids running around like crazy after a party because of all the sugar in the food
    WRONG (imo)
    it is the artifical food dyes!!

google search red #40
    FDA says it is fine, but read what other parents say it CAN do to SOME kids
    ADD, ADHD kids and kids in spectrum CAN have reaction to these chemicals

great that he eats lots of processed foods - great only because this can be taken out of his diet and he might have a huge diffence in his behaviors

go to library, get the book
    eating for autism (i think that is the one that i read that is esiaestto read- i have read a few, some read like medical journals, this one reads for parents who have a ton of other things goingon and explains in easiest way)

google
    LAKE dyes
    red #40 (if my daughter eats by accident, she will become dr jeckle mr hyde= within 10 hours if got wit
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• i found out by accident a tear and a hlf ago
    daughter was drinking strawberry nestles quik in her cows milk
    and
    juice was V* splash
    both have red 40 in them
    she was nuts/crazy, banging her head intot he floor

"a voice" told me to look at food labels
    then googled red 40 (i had no idea what it was)
    took out of her diet (and mine)
    she was so much better in days! and i had no more migraines - suffered for years
    5 monthslater, i treted, and eat a lot of foods with red 40 a few days before period, i them got 3 day headache = all the proof i need
    that SOME kids can not handle these chemicals

read about these dyes
    take them out of diet and email me in a week

GOD bless you, hopeto GOD that this helps you and your child
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• What is Aspergers
    it is in the spectrum
    usually great speech, but poor social skills
    ADD, ADHA also in spectrum

just my opinion,but i think spectrum disorders are gentic BUT the chemicals that go into the human body make the traitsof autism spectrum much more, take these chemicals out and a lot ofkids have huge improvement
    my daughter is better- hope yours will too
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Asperger's is high functioning Autism

You can Google it if you want to learn more..we really didn't see that side of him until he received the medication because the ADHD masked it. My son has ADHD horribly bad too, so I know how you feel. The school did send us home a survey to fill out in about Asperger's and my son scored in the 95th percentile. He was later diagnosed by the nurse practictioner he sees at the Artz Center for behavioral health and audiology. I really wish you and your son the best of luck...my hat is truly off to you because I have no idea how you dealt with this for so long. I really believe that ADHD in and of itself is more of a disability than it is given credit for and effects all aspects of these ppl's lives. Many of which go on to use cigarettes, drugs, or alchohol in a form of self-medication. I saw a picture once of an ADHD brain, and it was lit up like a Christmas bulb. No wonder they can't focus.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 12:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2011