Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Checks in my daughters name

Hi I am a first time mom. I have a 6 month old and the christmas checks have started coming in. They have her name on them and not mine. Do i just open an account in her name? Or can i cash then and put the money in her piggy bank?

Answer Question

Asked by emilysmom401 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 5 (70 Credits)
Answers (11)
  • You should be able to cash them, as long as they are signed. Especially if she has the same last name as yours.

    Answer by lilbit837 at 9:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • my bank let me cash a check my ex sent to the kids cuz they were underage

    Answer by jodi205 at 9:47 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • Our bank allows the parent to do whatever they choose with money for a minor child. You could deposit it to your account, open a seperate account for her, or cash them. Piggy banks don't pay any interest, though! I suggest opening a Coverdale investment account, to save TAX FREE for college. Ask the investment person at your bank about it. The money must be used for education, and all interest earned is never taxed. If you aren't comfortable with the stock market, longer term Certificates of Deposit give fairly decent rates of return and are totally reliable.

    Answer by yarnjunkie at 9:49 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • Some banks won't cash 3rd party checks. I would say write her name and sign yours under it and they may cash/deposit it because she's an infant. You could go through the drive through with the check with her name on the back and PAY TO THE ORDER OF and sign your name they may take it without question. It would be a pain to open her an account just for Christmas money.

    Answer by happy2bme7 at 9:51 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • Yes, just sign the back of them and have her drool on them too. (Just kidding) LOL!

    Answer by pupmom at 9:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • Ya...What yarnjunkie like her answer better ; )

    Answer by happy2bme7 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • Yeah, just sign the back if you want cash them. I think you should open a savings for her though. You'll need it when she is older =)

    Answer by PhiLLy-StyLe at 10:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

  • I am curious to know that a Christmas check is?

    Answer by lanesmommy08 at 9:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

  • I work at a bank. Usually I just have the parent sign for the child, write "minor," and then sign their own name underneath. Then they can deposit it in their own account.

    Answer by Liz_24 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

  • you can open a savings accout for minors and its great for xmas, b-days, etc. they are called utma (sp?) accounts.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.