Why do people on craigslist think youre stupid?

I am selling my son in laws car for him since hes busy and my daughter works alot. They come and think they are getting a new car and its a 97. Its a good car, great gas mileage, and I have people showing saying oh it needs a paint job (clear coat issues dduh but not bad). The cars valued at $1800, hes asking $1000. They come offering $400 (I laughed out loud at that one) and now another either asking for $800 cash. hes already come down $300 on the price. I dont get people sometimes.

Asked by gemgem at 12:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• I won't use Craigslist anymore. Hubby listed a Jeep that was really just a big toy. This couple came & looked at it & she was VERY pregnant. He told them flat out it didn't have a title (legal issues, the man in the title died before signing it over, but because he had it titled in a different state we couldn't get another one) & it wasn't a family vehicle. They still wanted it (& drove it before buying it). They made him feel sorry for them & he took $500 for it (he was asking $900) & then the next day they show up at our front door with the girl's grandma yelling & cussing & threatening to call the cops because we sold them a vehicle with no title. When I wouldn't give them their money back (my husband had it at work) the stupid old woman threatened to go to my husband's place of business & do the same thing. They got their money back & then hubby realized they had done some major engine damage.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• They should be glad you are not one of those scammers you hear horrible things about. I would have loved to have seen you laugh at the one. Good luck on selling the car. Sounds like you have your work cut out for you.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:20 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Well the thing is people ar strapped right now they are looking for a bone anywhere they can. I would have offered 800 to. If he wants 1000 he needs to ask for 1300 not unreasonable but people can feel like they are getting the deal they need.
    Anonymous

• Then the ad should say 1000 FIRM other offers will not be considered.
    Anonymous

• Oh, they signed a contract and it was notarized, and had we known about the damage they probably would not have gotten their money back, but I'll be honest - that crazy cussing old woman scared me and I might have paid her to leave. If hubby could not have come home and taken care of it I would have called the cops.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• they deal with idiots who accept their offers and want to bully everyone else the same way. I stopped using it to sell things
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 12:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• they try to find the tiniest flaws so that you will give them some slack to go down on price. Its the way it is in this world.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 12:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Bunch of cheapos. Don't settle. The right buyer will come along, and if not, you can try seling it to a used auto dealer. They will probably offer you 10$ for it, knowing the way they operate though..... Good luck!
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• They don't think you are stupid....they just want to see how much they can get away with, how LOW they can buy anything for. Its not unusual.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• It has nothing to do with it being Craigslist. Take an ad out in the local paper - you're going to encounter the same thing. People assume the price you're asking is always negotiable. It's called bargaining.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2011