Is it normal not to have any feelings of love or maternalization towards your child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• How old is the child?
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 12:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I am sure some people go through it.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 12:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• It would not be normal for me. My maternal instinct kicked in when I was but a young girl, and at 65, it's still going strong. I have loved my children, my grandchildren, and every other child I could get my hands on, and I am still doing it.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I'm just thinking - if the child is an infant, you could be experiencing PPD?
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 12:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I don't think its normal. My mother was like this. For your kids sake please get some kind of help or counseling. Kids NEED a mommy not just someone that is taking care of them.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 12:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I took me a few weeks maybe even a month or so to bond to my DS. He was my first and the only newborn I had ever really been around. I got home from the hospital and felt like he was a baby some stranger had dropped off at my house. DH helped me through it by literally making me interact with him outside of breast feeding. I have a feeling it was PPD. I really should have gotten help.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• my child is ten and i feel absolutely nothing towards her. no love, no like,nothing
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Yes! Some kids are just annoying brats, and some are lovable! It happens!
    KKCMom

Answer by KKCMom at 12:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Yes, that's normal. I think when any new relationship or person enters our lives its normal for individuals to take some times to readjust. My son is now 3-years-old and I couldn't image life without him. He is my everything!! Give it some time. - JMH
    jenahartman

Answer by jenahartman at 12:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• It happens to a lot of people.
    1sexymother

Answer by 1sexymother at 2:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2011