What do you do about parents with boyfriends or girlfriends at your wedding?

My parents were never married to each other. My mom married my step dad when I was 3 but my has been married 4 times, divorced 4 times. He is now dating a new woman (for about 4 months) my wedding is 7 weeks away and most of the invites are ready. I just don't know if I should invite dad's girlfriend. I have only met her twice and she hardly said 2 words to me. My wedding is pretty small, mostly family and friends, no one is bringing a date unless that date is someone I would invite on their own. Also, my problem is that between my mom, step dad, dad and 3 siblings ages 13, 9 and 5, there isn't anymore room at the family table if my dad did bring her. I am not sure what would be considered more rude, to not invite her or to invite her but she has to sit with my dad's mom and sisters at the reception. WWYD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Relationships

• I wouldn't invite her, she's not really family and isn't close to you.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Have you talked your dad about this? If not I would suggest you talk to him and let him know that you are aware he has a GF, and you don't want to be rude or exclude her, but with the wedding being small, and due to limited space/seating you would not be able to seat her at the famly table next to him. Let him know that there is room at the table with his mom/sister and would he be ok with her sitting there? Maybe he could sit with her at his mom's table?

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• MIZlee, I am going to talk to him but I want my dad at the family table.Last I talked to him, he seemed to expect her to be invited but really, we are only having about 72 people
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I agree with scout.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 1:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I say do what you feel is right. You do not want any drama because that is your day.
    1sexymother

Answer by 1sexymother at 1:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• If you want your dad to sit at the family table, then you need to make room for his girlfriend too. It's just the right thing to do.
    Anonymous

• anon, there is no room for another at the family table. I can't change that, the tables only seat 6 and I am certainly not going to bump down my mom, step dad (who raised me) or only of my 3 siblings (who are still children and should be with their parents) so that a woman I don't know can sit at the family table
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• It is YOUR day, not his. If you don't want her there because you don't know her, then don't invite her! Plain and simple. Not his event, not his choice. You're not doing it to be spiteful or hurt feelings, but because you don't know her and don't have room. It's nice that you'd consider seating her at the family table, and unfortunately there's no room. Don't stress out about more than you need to and enjoy your wedding!
    lizmartinez

Answer by lizmartinez at 6:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• If dad brings the girlfriend, he should sit with her, & not at the family table. He should not be expected to sit with his EX and expect his girlfriend to sit somewhere else.
    Anonymous