Fiance vs Parents (Question)

Any suggestions if your fiance and parents are butting heads? I want to feel at ease about my fiance and my parents/step-parents relationship. I understand, not everyone will always get along and be best of friends. But lets at least be cordile and speak friendly to each other. I've been having major anxiety and stress hives. Help?!?!? - JMH

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You answered your own question. You tell them that. Otherwise tell fiance you will go to mom and dads alone, and tell them you will do things alone with him. If its causing anxiety they should have some compassion. Id even add I had to go to the doctor for the stress, even if you didnt haha.

Answer by gemgem at 12:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Yes. I value my parents advise and their wisdom. I want for our relationship to work so badly and so does he. We're planning on going to pre-marital counseling. I want my parents to sit and have normal conversations and everyone let their walls/ barriers down. If things don't settle right for me - there may be no wedding.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• If you don't want to get married if everyone isn't getting along, then the counseling should be very beneficial to you. My MIL hated me when I got married to her son. We never once discussed not getting married because she acted like an a$$. We valued our love and commitment over her opinion. You and fiance need to set boundaries for the parents. His and yours. While they can give advice if solicited, you don't need to constantly feel like you have to still have their permission to do things in your marriage. Your husband will come first, before their wants and needs. Good luck.
    Mrs.B3

Answer by Mrs.B3 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2011