How do you stop a 3 yr old from screaming!?

He is abnoxiously loud! I tell him to be quiet he gets louder. I even told him that there was a bear in the back and if he hollered one more time that the bear might wake up... it worked for a little while until he went and looked for it and told me there was no bear. He screams inside store, when im on the phone, when i have company ovwer and we're trying to talk, when we are in retaraunts trying to eat... it is bad and embarrassing and i feel like im a bad mom for not being able to control this

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• All 3-year-olds scream! There's really nothing you can do about it. The best (and most difficult) thing to do about it is just to ignore him until he stops. Lack of attention is the world's worst punishment for kids. When you're in a public place, this is especially hard, because people who don't have kids can be very judgmental and don't realize how impossible it is to control them! I'd say if you're in a restaurant, take him out and wait, just so you don't disturb others. For the most part, other than that, leave him alone. He will eventually stop, just not before he drives you insane, gets the neighbors mad at you, and gets you nasty looks at all the public places you go :(

Good luck!
    cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 1:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• if he screams in public...leave the cart,or resturant or whatever..take him to the car for a major time out, if at home put him in his room for a time out....no attention just the time out do not give negative attention when he stops screaming reward the proper behavior...you might be able to resume your shopping but if he starts up again back to the punshment...ignore the stares...btw I'm a parent of a 12 year old with aspergers....I know what works very well!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 2:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2011