Should I Breastfeed?

alright, i still havnt decided to bottle feed or not. I know that its best for my child to breastfeed but as a victim of molestation, i find it hard to associate a child to a breast as anything but awkward. Help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm sorry you went through that, I would say that it's a wonderful experience to have with your baby, it's a little hard to explain. But, i'm not going to peach it's alot of work. And it' certainly feels very natural though and great thing for your baby, but if you prefer not then just bottle feed it's completly your choice.
    good luck to you!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 12:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• If you opt to bottlefeed, that is YOUR choice. I understand where you are coming from. I forced myself to breastfeed my kids for the first 6 weeks and I HATED every minute of it. Don't do something that will make you miserable being around your baby. (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Since you are on the fence: I recommend you give it a try. If you are uncomfortable you can switch to a bottle no problem. It is however very hard to switch form bottle to breast if you change your mine. Do what is best for you and your baby but if you are unsure you may as well give it a go, at least once. There will be nurses there to support you.

I thought I would HATE breast feeding. I hate my breast to be messed with at all and the idea of a baby putting his mouth there was just weird to me (I have no idea why) BUT I decided to try it. Best experience of my life. I found myself missing it once they were weened.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• – collapse
    you should never do something you're not comfortable doing. formula is just as good as breastmilk, in fact it's a bit more substantial because bm is more than 88% water, so formula fed babies stay full longer. your baby will be just as healthy whether they are bf or ff. you would not see any difference health wise
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 12:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Try therapy. Sounds like you need to sort out your issues with what happened to you as a child. Your breasts were made to feed a baby, and there is nothing "dirty" about it AT ALL. It is a loving and completely natural thing to do. Don't let a molester take that birth right away from you and your baby. You can do it, and it might also help you to heal.

But if you do formula feed, it isn't the end of the world. Formula is much better these days and while it isn't a substitute for breast milk, it is pretty good.
    Anonymous

• It has definite health benefits for both you and baby. There are natural nutrients that your body makes just for your baby that are hard to reproduce in formulas, and they are better digested from your milk. You would enjoy getting your figure back faster, and your risk of breast cancer drops if you decide to breast feed.

I know you have been through a lot, which sounds like it is affecting your decision, but I think it could actually be psychologically beneficial to you. The baby is innocent and is born knowing how to nurse. He/She will like being that close to mommy and needs the skin-to-skin contact one way or another. The bonding with your new baby might help you to replace the old images you have from your abuse.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Since your unsure, I'd say try it if you can and if you find it to be something that you cant do or are still uncomfortable with then you can switch to bottle. I tried with my daughter and it just wasnt working so we switched to bottle and she was happier and still healthy. It is your choice and I agree that you shouldnt do something that is uncomfortable for you and may make you miserable. Hoenstly if your happy with your choice then thats all that really matters and your baby will sense if you are uncomfortable or un happy and that will make your baby unhappy and harder to feed.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Trust me when I say that breastfeeding feels NOTHING even remotely like anything sexual. If you went to get a massage, it's a very similar sensation only on your nipple. While pleasant, it is not a sexual thing at all. I am nursing my second child and can honestly say I feel like a better mom because of it (not bashing moms who don't bf so please don't bash me.. it's just how I view MYSELF) Contrary to what momofone says formula is NOT just as good as breastmilk.
    This site may help
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/comparing-formula-and-breast-milk.html
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 1:02 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• my sister was molested and I completely see where you're coming from with he awkward feelings :) Until the day I held my baby boy in my arms I thought it was perverted, and I've breastfed all of my children. There is no right answer here, you do what you are comfortable with. Some people will make you feel as though its a crime to formula feed, its not. Do what works for you momma! And good luck :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 2:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2011