Puppy

So our now almost 5 month old puppy was hit by a car when he was 7 weeks old. He had his splint taken off today, but the vet said he needs to be on cage rest for another 3-4 weeks. This poor dog has been on cage rest for almost 3 months as it is... I know he said his leg would be stiff and he would need it worked for a day or two, so I u d'├ętat ad the cage rest for a few more days, or even a week, but seriously another month? I don't understand. The vet told us, 20 mins to do his business outside every 3-4 hrs. That all the activity he should get for the next month... Dh took him and didn't ask why, but that's my question, why? If his leg is healed, and healed properly, why can't he be out longer? Why so much cage rest??

BabyBugsmama

Asked by BabyBugsmama at 12:49 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Pets

• The muscles are very weak and though the bone is healed it has weak spots. Overdoing the activity can injure the dog worse and put him on cage rest even longer. I know it sucks but it really is the best thing for him. If you look at human bone injuries, people have to go to physical therapy for a long time to get that strength back and they usually still have to take it easy (crutches for legs) even once the cast comes off.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 12:52 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I can understand not wanting to keep him quite for any longer. My youngest dog looked like this until he was about 4 or 5 months old. But you don't want him to over do it right now because he could easily re break that leg if he is to active right now.  When my dog was that age I wanted to be able to take him out with my other dogs but could nto risk it. 

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• The E-collar!! We call it the cone of shame ( like from up) our puppy will now put his cone on at night by himself... Poor guy
    BabyBugsmama

Comment by BabyBugsmama (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• That's what we called it too. Poor guy had no choice though after we found him and he started recovering he started feeling better which is a good thing but he also started chewing off the splints. Our Dog had to stay strictly in the crate for several weeks in the beginning.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2011