3 year old cries that her legs hurt....

Most days she'll mention at least once that her legs hurt. I'll tell her she's fine and she won't mention it again, but a few times lately she's started crying and won't stand because her legs hurt. It hurts her on the front of her shins, usually at night. She hasn't had any injuries and is very active. Does this sound like growing pains? It's been going on for about 2 months. She's 3 years 4 months old.

laura_lu5

Asked by laura_lu5 at 10:02 PM on Dec. 13, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds like it. My daughter often complains about the same thing. I usually use a dab of icy hot and massage her legs. It usually soothes the pain.
    PhiLLy-StyLe

Answer by PhiLLy-StyLe at 10:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• i'm very tall, and i guess that i was contantly growing as a kid... i remember my dad using lotion and rubbing my legs to make them feel better.
    the only thing that makes me curious... is that you said the front of her shins. sounds like shin splints. i have no idea how a 3 year old would get shin splints... but they hurt like a bitch. the only time i ever got them was at the beginning of track season every year. maybe chat with her doc?
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 10:57 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• I seen a story like that on tv it could be cancer please go get it checked out.
    jostock

Answer by jostock at 11:00 PM on Dec. 13, 2008

• okay i had this problem and my oldest does too. My grandmother would give me tylenol and a flinstones vit. It works wonders!
    jaykivanna

Answer by jaykivanna at 1:15 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• my nephew is/was like that too..our dr said it was because he started walking to early on in life..he was full on walking by 8 months..and becuz of that it didnt give his bones a chance to grow properly..thats why im always telling ppl to not force your kids to walk..dr told my sis this could be something he has to deal with for the rest of his life..he 6 now, and its sort of getting better...but there are some days where he cant even stand cuz they hurt so bad..and hes a VERRRY active kid, non stop all day, so it makes him sad..i would go and talkto yer dr and see what it could be..maybe get some xrays done to see..my sis takes her son to get xrays in 4 days..hopefully everythings ok!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:11 AM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My 3 year old says the same thing.. I was told it is growing pains by her pedi, so nothing to worry about...Unless it gets severe or continues for more than a few days to a week, get it evaluated.
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 12:41 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Take her for x rays That happened to me and I ended up have hip displasia (SP) and let me tell you I wouldn't with that on my worst enemy this S*&^ HURTS! And it gets so bad when Im pregnant that the dr puts me on percocet. Try a chiropractor (SP) they help me a ton.
    I hope it's nothing major! Good Luck
    TravisJohnsmama

Answer by TravisJohnsmama at 1:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2008