I can't cook chicken properly!!!

I follow the directions even adjust the heat and time by previous experiences but my chicken ALWAYS comes out way over or under done. I'm trying to lose my baby weight so I'm trying to make chicken a lot. Anyone have some advice?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 1:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Food & Drink

• you can cut it up in chunks, add some taco seasoning & cook it on the stove top. Skip the tortilla, and just have a taco salad. Add some salsa, sour cream, avocado, tomatoes, cucumber, onion to some Romain lettuce...and you have a super healthy burrito in a bowl with no tortilla (those tortillas are like 200 calories, which is a lot for a flat peace of bread).

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I like to cook my chicken with the olive oil pam spray on the stove with a touch of seasoning. I pre-cut my chicken into strips so I do not have to wait to long to cook or eat it and I can gauge the tenderness.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 1:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• me either.. if its on the bone.. i always use bonless skinless breast it seems much easier.
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 1:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I only use boneless/skinless and I STILL screw it up. I tried on the stovetop last night and halfway through I had to cut the chicken up and cook it that way.. it ended up being over done. I can cook beef to perfection but chicken just boggles my mind.
    alinker

Comment by alinker (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Buy a meat thermometer. If you are baking it check it about after 30 min and then every 15 after.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 1:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• For the stove top start out with the heat low enough to start cooking and not high enough to cook the outside before cooking the inside. You really have to know your stove and oven.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 1:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Well, butterfly your meat or pound it thin.....makes a more even and faster cooked meat. Or invest in a crock pot....hard to overcook chicken in one of those.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 1:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• YOU KNOW - I BET ONE REASON I SEEM TO BE ABLE TO DO IT WELL IS MY HUBBY WILL NOT EAT CHICKEN UNLESS ITS DRY! SO IT MAY BE OVERDONE BY YOUR STANDARD BUT PERFECT BY HIS :)
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• If it were me, i would boil whole chickens, ( very cheap at Walmart) rinse well and boil. The skin is easy to remove. Just cover and boil ( on med-low) for about 1 1/2 hr or until you can pull the legs off easily. You will have alot of chicken and can freeze some and it's ready to go. Add some chicken base for flavor while boiling and any other spices you enjoy. ( we like to add a little hot spice while boining- crushed red peppers or hot sauce for that extra zip in the broth.) A great base for chicken veg soup or chicken and dumplings. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 1:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I usually do two whole chickens at a time in two crockpots. Add about an inch of water, season with paprika and fresh pepper. One gets eaten as a rotisserie chicken, and the leftovers and the other whole one get cut up, bagged, and frozen for other meals. All of the bones go back into the biggest crockpot with water to cover, celery, onion, and more pepper and I cook it for 24 hours on low (add water when needed), strain it, and freeze the stock for soups. Hardly any work, and for just the two of us those two chickens turn into quite a few meals. I miss baked chicken, but DH doesn't like it so I rarely bake mine anymore.

I can make chicken salad, use it in casseroles, in stirfry, and just about any other recipe this way ~ and since it's already cooked, it cuts down on time spent standing over the stove.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2011