I feel like we are taking steps back!!! =(

So i am potty training. And we had an amazing night last night!! He got up two times and went pee but did not wet the bed. Well than this morning he has peed his pants 3 times!!! When yesterday he was so go about it!! I feel we are taking a step forward and than two steps back!! It makes me so bad when he pees in his underwear because he was doing so good!!

ljmommy1211

Asked by ljmommy1211 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I disagree with kp. All kids are different and potty train differently. I can agree that some kids have smaller bladders than others. I would have been one of them. I woke up 2 - 3 times a night every night to pee when I was kid and I still do and there is absolutely nothing wrong with me or my bladder. There are gonna be days that are a lot different than others where he has accidents and days where he doesnt. Its gonna take him awhile to get the hang of it and even then he'll still have accidents on occasion. Just keep working on it and he'll get the hang of it. Some kids are easier to train and others take awhile.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I have not gotten to this point yet with my daughter, but when I used to nanny I saw the mothers do the funniest things. One mom put fruit loops in the toilet bowl to see if her son could aim at them to shoot them to the bottom, and another mom put that pee coloring they put in pools in the potty toilet so when her girls went potty it would turn a bright blue!

I am not sure if you already do this, but I was instructed to put them on the potty every 30 minutes and to do a really silly potty praise dance every time they went potty and if they did not have to potty I was to make a frowny face and say something like thats ok honey maybe next time, but just a small frown so they think its cute and do it too, not something that makes them feel bad about their effort. I have noticed waiting for them to tell you they need to go doesnt work.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 1:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• firstly.. he shouldnt be having to wake up twice in a night to pee.. if hes old enough he should be able to hold it., the problem could be hes drinking too much before bed at night.. stop all drinks 2-3 hours before bed time and JUST before you put him down make sure he pees again even if he says he doesnt have to go! and first thing in the morning.. dont let him lay there and stir.. he has to get straight up and go potty again before he goes in the bed.. Also buy plenty underwear because some days there will be many accidents and other days none.. and you always want a few spares in the underwear drawer.. Just keep reminding him to go and bring him in there no matter what the answer is. Also watch how much and how fast he drinks.. if he finished his milk fast in the morning he'll probably have to go a few times shortly after.. I have a fully potty trained 2 1/2 yr old boy..
    kp0469

Answer by kp0469 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• ..continued... we went from diapers straight to underwear.. it took about a week.. im a stay at home mom so i was able to make it work.. i let him run around naked and trust me there were puddles all over my floors but he eventually got the hang of it.. I also did a reward system in the begining.. hershey kiss after each time he went on the potty.. and then it went to hershey kisses every time he pooped on the potty.. it worked great and now he just gets a yayy good job! sucha big boy!! lol hes very proud of himself and loves to wash his hands and play with the soapy bubbles on his hands.. dont be surprised if someties u take him to pee and ten minute later he has to go again.. that can happen alot so you have to be constantly on him about going.. When he does have accidents i just say oh no its messy!! We go on the potty like big boys do right? Also be aware boy can easily regress but they end up back on track. goodluck!
    kp0469

Answer by kp0469 at 1:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I say waking to pee at night is natural. My child sleeps 14 hours at night and wakes to pee 2-3 times during the night. Sometimes we make it to the potty sometimes we don't (she is still in a diaper at night). I wake 3-4 times at night to pee in a 8-9 hour stint. I will not expect that my child will never wake to pee b/c her Mommy wakes to pee constantly.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I think waking him up to go is very good, He goes right back to sleep!
    ljmommy1211

Comment by ljmommy1211 (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Oh sorry im writing so much but i forgot to add.. it could also help depending on what kind of potty your using.. We tried the toilet rings int he begining.. i figured itd be easier to use that then buy a little seat that id have to clean and dump afterwards.. but my little one wasnt crazy about being on the big toilet all the time.. we ended up getting the baby bjorn potty seat [its nice for boys cuz its got the very high pee blocker in the front], now he uses both.. i keep the baby bjorn in the corner of our "play" livingroom [where he plays alot] and when he has to go he pulls his pants down and goes.. he has now learned to pee standing up so we have a non slip step stool in the bathroom so he goes in there and climbs up and goes standing.. he thinks its amazing watching his pee splash into the water and laughed the first week of that! i suggest potty books and toys for when he goes #2 ! hope i helped! haha
    kp0469

Answer by kp0469 at 1:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• are you waking him up at night or is he waking himself up to pee ? i could understand waking up to pee once depending on how long your letting him sleep and how often he normally goes[some kids have smaller bladders and less control as well] but every single night 2-3 times a night is a little much.. and can easily be lessened by the amount of fluids your giving him and even if it goes from 2 times a night down to once a night of waking up that still gives him a better nights sleep. im not saying waking up to pee is unnatural or wrong on their part lol im only trying to give suggestions on how to teach him better bladder control. People naturally sleep better when they are out cold in their beds, and obviously dont sleep as well when they are tossing and turning in their beds or waking up every few hours to make trips to the bathroom.
    kp0469

Answer by kp0469 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2011