School refusal of Immunization exempt form in Illinois

Hi everyone
I have a little problem on my hands. I really need some help here. My daughter is 3 years old and I wanted to have go her head and start headstart, but the school wont let her attend because she is not immunizated.I gave them the exempted form for her. They dont want to accept it and say its law they can refuse, but I also read in that same law that a parent can give the exempted forms as well.....I'm confused...can anyone help?

MummyLuv

Asked by MummyLuv at 1:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Kids' Health

• This link is to your state's Administrative Code. The important part of it probably is, "General philosophical or moral reluctance to allow physical examinations, eye examinations, immunizations, vision and hearing screening, or dental examinations will not provide a sufficient basis for an exception to statutory requirements. The local school authority is responsible for determining whether the written statement constitutes a valid religious objection."

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Since it's pre-school, and not an obligation that your child go, they may actually be able to refuse.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• If it is a Private School & not Public they can do whatever they want.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• They can't refuse if you have the exemption form, bring a copy of the law, and ask to speak to someone higher up if that's a possibility.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 1:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• They can refuse if you get any free lunch or food stamps in some states. They are now passing laws stating that if you plan to have free lunch or any sort of state aid even medicaid the kids have to have them. At headstart their food is paid for by part of the food stamp group. That might be part of the problem? Ask them if thats why?

Answer by gemgem at 1:20 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• You need to look at the laws for preschool. Preschools in some states have the right to refuse. Public schools do not.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• There is a group here on CM that is called Choosing not to Vaccinate. They have good information and the links for each state's laws on this and will be able to help you find what you need.
    Kimrun

Answer by Kimrun at 1:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Most schools do not know. I drive by schools all the time in the summer that tell you to get the immunizations, it's the law. But the federal law clearly states that schools are for record keeping. They must either have the exemption form or the child fully immunized. I saw the posts about the food stamps, etc. it's a way of scaring parents into doing it. Since the state cannot get into church/state issues, they cannot by law turn you down. Well, they can, but it can be fought because they cannot make you do something against your religion. It is clear discrimination to force you to do things their way. Each state is paid $100 from the federal government for each fully immunized child, therefore the states want it to be done. What's sad is the forcing on children who are allergic and such.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2011