Potty training for this dummy>(me)

My DS is almost 3 and has 2 potties. One floor potty chair and one seat that fits on the big potty (which he seems to like more) We haven't been pushing him to potty train because he's very strong willed and it just ends up frustrating the both of us. Lately he's been asking to use the potty but will just sit there for a few minutes then say "all done" without having gone potty. (Waits til his diaper is back on) He cries if I put him in underwear and won't even sit on the potty if I put him there myself (without him saying he wants to) I (the dummy) am wondering what the next step is from here. Do I continue to let him potty train on his terms or do I take this into my own hands?

My other question is: My husband is in the Marines and we are leaving this station to go to another. Between duty stations we plan on going home to visit (I'll be staying a couple months with the kids while he goes and finds us a house) He thinks I should potty train while I am staying with my family so I have some help but I think the 13+ hour drive to the next station is gonna set him back. Not sure what to do here.

alinker

Asked by alinker at 1:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• With my oldest, I kind of let him do it on his term, BUT i did offer to put him on the potty every 20-30 minutes when we were fulling potty training. He was potty trained shortly have the age of 3, and I am now doing it all over with my youngest! And he does what your son does where he sits and then says all done before he's done, and I get him off, my Future MIL told me to bring the potty out to the living room, and he'll be more apt to wanting to go on it but i'm not sure about that!
    Meg2011

Answer by Meg2011 at 1:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I would not push the issue right now. If you start to train and then move it is going to set him back. I started to train my DD before I knew that we were moving and it took her about 6-7 mos to settle and then she started on her own again. I would let him continue to do it on his terms until you are settled into the next station. Moves are HUGE upsets to children when they are learning to potty train. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:23 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I had this exact same prblm(minus the miliatry part) a few months ago with my soon-to-be 3yr old dd. I'm telling you right now your IS READY to potty train. The reason he says he's all done and cries and wants his diaper back on is because that diaper is is security blanket for peeing and pooping. He views it a something he's used to and part of him. Here's what worked for us. DD was FULLY trained with no accidets after 3 days: Sit him completely naked on the little potty in front of the tv. Sit with him and prepare be there for the day. Have plenty of dvds, coloring books, books, snacks,etc nearby. The first time he pees it will probblysock him. Encourage him nicely to keep sitting on the potty. If he throw a fit and wants up, allow it for a short break but don't take your eyes of him and after 5 -10 mins have him sit back down. Do not use ANY diapers, pull-ups,underwear,etc. When he pees mke a huge deal out of it and praise.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• (cont.) If he goes in the floor its ok and just remind him poop/pee goes in the potty. If he wants to change rooms with the potty its ok. He may freak out and cry because it scares them having pee/poop leave them. Its ok. Put a diaper on him ONLY right before bed if he says wet at night but if he's been dry at night,skip the diaper. After a few short days he should be getting the hang of it. After the first few times he goes in the potty you can put him in underwear only but try not to go out while you're potty training. After 3 days of this she was accident free. She's been 100% accident free for about 2 months now. She was terrified of it in the beginning but gradually got better.Now its no big deal to her. You can also use rewards like stickers, special potty soap,candy, etc. If he starts holding in his poop(typical in the first few weeks) just insist(nicely) that he stay on the potty till he poops. (cont)

SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My husband is in the Marines as well and we were actually in the process of moving when i thought about begining potty training our son.. i waited til after we got settled into our new home to really start the proces.. the less stress on them the better chance of it sticking.. I would let him do it on his terms.. its good that hes so curious and interested in even sitting on the potty.. Our son took forever to go on the big potty until we got a second potty seat[baby bjorn] for the livingroom. He enjoyed sitting on that for longer periods of time cuz he was able to watch a cartoon while sitting and "trying" to go.. Also i would suggest not using ANY diapers anymore. he is crying for them because he is so attached.. it may take getting through a few tantrums and fits but in the long run it'll help him get used to not needing them to go anymore.. just be prepared for puddles and accidents around the house for a few days :]
    kp0469

Answer by kp0469 at 2:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• He needs to know that when he needs to poop, it isn't a choice. He may skip a day. A day isn't so bad. I don't advise letting him skip more than 1 day. He will hurt and be miserable and crabby. My dd did that in the beginning but now she is back to pooping 2-3 times a day and all on the potty! She never once wet the bed. If he skipped a day of pooping and it is the next day, have him take Pedialax-a chewable,safe laxative for kids.They're watermelon flavored. Just have to make sure you read the directions and he takes the FULL amount of water with each tablet. Make sure you don't tell him that the are o help him poop. If he hears that he may think he needs them all the time and still old his poop in. I only had to use them twice and haven't used them in month. I told her they were special vitamins. I made the mistake with my 1st child of telling him they were to help him poop an it backfired. Let me know if it works!
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Let him do it on his own terms but mention to him about going to the potty ever once in a while to keep it top of mind for him. I believe you shouldn't push in potty training and that they'll get it on their own when the time is right for them. Kids eventually get it by 3 years old.
    Lakazmommi3

Answer by Lakazmommi3 at 2:41 AM on Jun. 25, 2011