Clogged tear ducts and eye ointment used at birth

I heard recently from a doula friend that the ointment used right after birth has been linked to clogged tear ducts (which both of mine had/have) She said that it isn't mandatory to use the ointment unless you have an STD. Does anyone know anything about this and does HPV count as an STD?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• HPV is an STD so I think it does count.

Answer by gemgem at 1:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• She is right and yes, HPV is included as an STD.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• The major factor of the blocked tear duct in babies is that the duct, itself, has not completely developed, or there is a thin film of skin covering the opening of the duct. This happens independently of the ointment, as the condition actually exists before birth. It may tend to run in your family, as specifics of development are largely due to genes.

The doula may have been relating her personal theory about it to you, but, medically, I wouldn't be concerned about the ointment causing the problem.

The ointment usually is an antibiotic, Erythromycin, which works great on preventing infection from bacterial vaginosis, chlamydia, gonnerhea, and other bacterial STD's. You could, by the way, have a bacterial infection, and not know it. But, since HPV is a viral STD, you need to talk about transmission issues with the OB and the ped. This is especially true if you have untreated lesions. Some individuals cannot do vaginal.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 1:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My first one had the ointment and the blocked tear duct. They don't tell you all there is to know about everything they do with your baby. Infants don't need a hepatitis vaccine the moment they are presented into the world either. The only way to contract it is through blood or sex, which unless the baby is going to escape from the nursery and head down to the emergency room to help or they are sleeping with each other in the co-ed nursery, it isn't necessary. A lot of the things that they talk parents into saying that it is "needed" is actually just a boost to raise the bill.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Actually ImaginationMama, the cream has been known to cause eye infections and other issues.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Ive never heard of those drops causing a problem, but Im no expert. I dont have a problem with them doing this to my baby because they do it to every baby so the 1% that does have HPV doesnt live thier life blind. If putting drops in my baby's eyes will stop another to not live blind than Im for it.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 3:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Ms.Gwen I am not saying I'm not going to.. I am just curious
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:50 PM on Jun. 24, 2011