Horseback riding when is a good age

I wanted my daughter to do horse back riding lessons and I wanted when is a good age to start. She is four years old now

sierra_617

Asked by sierra_617 at 1:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think around 6 is a good age to start more serious lessons. Before that I would think I'd be ok with my kids riding with an adult or being led around, but I wouldn't want to let them ride solo. This is my personal preference. I grew up on a ranch and I've seen parents who spent significant amounts of time with their children around horses who felt ok letting them ride solo at an earlier age, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with that.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Most places I've looked they need to be 5/6
    lizzeh

Answer by lizzeh at 2:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I started riding with my Mom when I was 2 1/2 but that was on Grandpa's horses. 5 seems pretty typical for schools around here.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 2:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My daughter is 4 and I took her to 1 lesson....just to see if she would like it, if she would be scared, etc...she LOVED it! I think it might depend on the place though. You may need to call and see if they have an age that they start them at.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• It depend on the place and your kid. My daughter is 3 she just completed littlekid camp week at the equestrian center I grew up taking lessons with and doing camp both as a camper and then acounselor. By the end of the week she was trotting on the horse and walking on her own with a counselor close by. It is easier on school horses, they tend to follow the leader, be calm know what their doing and are used to little kids. I've personally worked with kids 3-6 starting and if you have a good horse its a perfect age to start. Best option isto findagood barn you trust. I started riding when I was 2 and taking serious lessons when I was 6.
    mrhodgeswife

Answer by mrhodgeswife at 5:56 PM on Jun. 25, 2011