Castor Oil?

I had an appointment on Wednesday, I am now 39 weeks pregnant. I am 2cm dilated and my doctor broke my membranes in hopes of moving the process along because my body is doing everything for labor, just at a really slow rate and I cant handle it anymore. My feet swell to the point where I cant walk it hurts so bad, and the tops of my toes split because they are so big. I have anxiety and from being so uncomfortable and miserable and in so much pain, I am constantly having anxiety attacks which arent good for my little guy in my belly. So because of all of the stuff going on and I on the day of my appointment I only had 5 days left until my due date, she broke my membranes. She also gave me a castor oil recipe which i drank when I got home. It worked and I had contractions all night that slowly got stronger and closer together, and I had so much pain in my back, (my doctor said I am going to have back labor because my back kills me every time I have contractions..). They got to the point where they were waking me up all night in my sleep. When I got up in the morning they were still there and I was in so much pain from my back so I decided to take a bath and see if it would help. Well stupid me, it did help, too much. The tub relaxed my muscles so much that it set my contractions backwards. They got less painful and farther apart and now Ill just get a random one here and there.
The recipe I had for the castor oil drink was disgusting and I could not bring myself to drink it again, although my doctor said it was okay to and it would help. So I was wondering if any of you Mommas who used castor oil and arent going to lecture me on using it, have any suggestions for a recipe that didnt taste too bad? Thank you!
Oh and also, does anyone know if it tastes okay with chocolate ice cream, like mixed together as a drink? I wasnt sure if the chocolate taste would kinda cover the nasty castor oil taste. Thanks again :]

lizjones

Asked by lizjones at 1:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Why can't they induce you at this point? My Dr. would never let me suffer like that past 39 weeks. The swelling sounds very bad. Is this a regular OBGYN you are going to? Sounds wierd to me.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• it sounds extremely weird to me.. not trying to scare you but trying to give you a little background on caster oil... its not safe for your baby. I actually know someone who done this YEARS ago ( my mil told me about her friend doing this) and it caused her to lose her baby. IF your doctor told you to do this.. i strongly recommend using another doctor.. this doc sounds out of it. maybe try another hospital when you go into labor so you def wont have this doc. that is really weird your doc would tell you to do something that could harm your baby
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 2:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• The only person I know who ever tried it (in a smoothie btw) ended up with vomiting and diarrhea for 24 hours... After all it is an OTC laxative...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:12 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My doctor wouldnt tell me to do something that would harm my baby. Many doctors say that it is safe, all it is is a laxative. Im sure it was a coincidence with your friend. I have confidence in my doctor and I am not switching doctors. I am just looking for a not so bad tasting recipe for the castor oil because I cannot handle my pregnancy anymore.
    lizjones

Comment by lizjones (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Not to be rude, but Im not looking for people to tell me how its unsafe or doesnt work. My doctor told me it is safe and I have already used it once and it works. I just dont want to use the same recipe as the first time because it was very unappetizing..
    lizjones

Comment by lizjones (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• If you want recipes to make your self nauseous then google it. you can mix it with anything you want. Soda, juice, ice cream, smooties, applesauce, milk... whatever you would rather throw up.
    Anonymous

• Your doctor sounds like a nut. Castor oil is NOT safe for baby. And breaking your membranes 5 days early for no reason is ridiculous. Not to mention harmful. Ugh. You and doc both need to get educated on this. This may not be what you want to hear, but, someone needs to say it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• your doctor sounds like she is not looking at all the risk and just telling you what you want to hear:
    1) It could cause your baby to pass meconium into the sac and then you risk aspiration of it at birth. If you take a laxative so does you baby
    2)It can cause you to become dehydrated risking you being majorly fatigued if the dehydration causes labor
    3)While rare it can cause dizziness and irregular heart beat
    4)It could cause you to go into labor and you baby is not ready-lungs under developed-with out and amnio there is no way to know and a due date is an educated guess not a exact science.

Take it if you want but at least KNOW your risk.:
    Recipes: It is best very cold nad mixed in a higher volume of liquid. Smoothies and milk shakes work best.

Anonymous

• Getting dehydrated- You drink extra liquids to prevent that.
    My baby's lungs not being fully developed? - I am 3 days shy of 40 weeks, and a baby is considered full term at 38 weeks. His lungs are just fine. 5days early is nothing.
    Breaking my membranes 5 days before my due date was not for no reason. Be in my position and then try saying it was for no reason.
    Castor Oil is JUST A LAXATIVE. I had to take x-lax much earlier in my pregnancy because of severe constipation. So you all are basically saying that shitting is unsafe for my baby, because thats all a laxative does is make you shit.
    And to the first Anom.- I already have taken it once, I did not throw up nor did I get nauseaus so you all can keep acting like you know EVERYTHING, no doctor is going to tell you it is safe to do something when its not.
    All I was asking for was recipes, and mostly Ive just gotten people lecturing me on stuff that I dont need to be told.
    lizjones

Comment by lizjones (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Wow you I don't care how you colour it castor oil has not been recommended for years for pregnant women. You are lucky you did not get sick the firs time. Dehydration is a real risk even with extra fluids. And your estimated due date says you are 5 days shy of 40 weeks. You could just as easily be less. And just because you are considered full term at 38 weeks doesn't make it safe to force them out. You force induction whether it be by risky at home self medicating or risky in hospital doctor medicating you are increasing you risk of c-section. If your busy is not ready it may not progress the way it would if you just waited it out. You are almost done why rick anything to rush what will happen on it's own in a matter of weeks. Selfish selfish selfish! And it should say something that not one person who has answer recommends it, condones it or has tried it.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 2:57 PM on Jun. 24, 2011