Trying to get over an addiction and the cravings are horrible...(this one is so stupid too...)

I've been addicted to Halls Mentho-Lyptus cough drops for a couple of years. I finally wouldn't let myself buy any more, and it's been 2 days since I've had one. I am working on getting over a sinus/ear infection right now, kind of bad timing because they have actually helped me feel better. But ugh. I've been able to wean myself from pop, coffee, other things including major pain killers, with no problems. So why am I craving these damn cough drops so much now?! Agh. Shoot, I've even gone into Wal-Mart and another grocery store and managed to stay away from them, lol! So, anyone have any suggestions to get past these cravings? I can't eat candy, already tried that and it hurts my teeth, and I'm eating so many more fresh fruits & veggies than normal I'm giving myself the skeets.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Health

• That is not stupid. DH's uncle was addicted to nasal spray for a couple years. I wish I had some advice, but all I can offer is support. Since you say no candy I imagine gum is out too then?
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Be careful because abusing simple cough drops can be dangerous as well. However, cough drops are made of medicine so even though they may not be addictive they can be dangerous and addictive to someone who has an addictive personality.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 2:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Yes, gum is out too most of the time - Idk if I have TMJ or what but it hurts to chew it more than a few minutes (I do know that I have jaw problems after having dental work done a couple of years ago).

And yes ambr, that's why I'm "quitting", I know they're not good for me.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• That's so funny! I have heard people suck on cough drops when they want to quit other addictions because it tends to overpower your taste buds, but I haven't heard of it the other way around!

Are you anemic? Your body might like those sugar boosts.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 2:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Stupid because I can't believe I got addicted to them.

And Ginger - this was the time in life it was easiest to lose weight too - the more I ate them, the less I wanted to eat real food, I was still eating regular meals but instead of snacking between I'd pop one every hour or so - the taste would make me not want to snack. I do have lower-than-desireable iron levels around my period, but I take iron to help with that - I have for a while now, so I'm not anemic. And now that I think about it...I did eat more sugary stuff on the days I either didn't pop as many Halls or was running low and couldn't get to the store more more, and about all I've wanted to eat the last 2 days is sweets...you may have a point there!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I didn't vote you down! I'm kind of laughing at that, I'm guessing that's how many I ate in...well over a year, lol! I couldn't imagine sucking down that many a day, and I weigh a lot more than that.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• lol gosh I got a vote down!!!!

It just wanted you to not feel too pressured. Its good to not have addiction, but its not a serious problem if it takes you a while to get off them. All in good time!
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 6:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Well I'm hoping "cold turkey" works - I've tried weaning myself off of them (like everything else) but it didn't work for anything! I do notice a difference in how I feel though if I have none or few on one day, and a lot on another - so I do know that something in them is doing something to me (don't know what it would be, but whatever). Ahhh...thanks Ginger.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• You traded your other addictions for the cough drop addictions. Cold turkey might work. When you get the urge, drink a glass of water or go for a walk. Something to get your mind elsewhere. Best of luck!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Halls Mentho-Lyptus cough drops contain 6.5 mg of Mentol as their active ingredient. The US National Cancer Institute released findings that dosages of 375mg/kg weight have no adverse effects on people. Running through the math, we find that to equate to 3,461 cough drops a day for a 60kg (132 lb) person.

You are probably safe.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 2:11 PM on Jun. 24, 2011