8 weeks 4 days no heartbeat..i dnt know what to do or say

i had a ultrasound done, they told me call my doc immediately. i did. he said go to ER. i did..had ultrasound they came in and said i was 8 w 4 d pregnant but the baby has no heartbeat. is there any way they are wrong? would u think so? ive had 2 ultrasound techs confirm no heartbeat, but maybe its just hard to pick up? my doc wants me to do a d& c, but i just dont think i can. i feel so empty, i dnt feel like they are right. im so scared, lost and confused. and i feel no one understands what im going through. any advice/help/thoughts would be appreciated.

youngandafraid

Asked by youngandafraid at 2:10 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I would ask your doctor to see if maybe you can wait another week or 2 and do another ultrasound just to be sure. They could have measured wrong and got the date wrong and its still to early to hear the heart beat. Most of the time the heart beat can be heard between 8 - 10 weeks and if they got the date wrong then it can be to early still or they just cant find it yet.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I am so sorry but a heartbeat would have been shown on an ultrasound. I have been in your shoes twice but in my 13th and 14th weeks. I had the D&C both times. Hugs to you.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 2:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Look at this website:

http://www.babycenter.com/400_how-soon-can-you-hear-the-babys-heart-beat_3505823_411.bc

There are women who did not hear there baby's heartbeat until 13 weeks in. Many doctors do not even do a heartbeat check until 10 weeks for this reason.

Don't lose faith and do not stress yourself out!!!!
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 2:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I'd also see about putting it off a week or two.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 2:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• If they have not hear the baby's heart beat by ultrasound or doppler, they are supposed to attempt to hear it vaginally, did they do that?
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 2:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• yes they did transvaginal in the ER, not the 2nd look at doctors office
    youngandafraid

Comment by youngandafraid (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Hearing a heartbeat and seeing one on the ultrasound is two very different things.. If two ultrasounds have been done and no one has SEEN a heartbeat, I would wait a week or two and have another ultrasound to be sure before going through with the D&C...

Now not hearing a heartbeat is very common this early but it still should be visible during the ultrasound...

Hugs to you.. I know this will be a very hard and stressful time for you.. You may not be as far along as they think, the heart doesn't start to beat until around 5-6 weeks..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I would definetly wait to see. There are too many babies they find out later after they have done a D&C or abortion that were actually still alive or didn't have the problems they thought that they had. These machines are not checked but once a year. Even with 2 different ones you cannot be sure that they are accurate.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I've been in this situation, too and I know how hard it can be! I'd wait another week or so and have the MD recheck. Don't stress yourself out because it's not good for you or your baby. Good luck and my thoughts and prayers are with you!! :)
    MomOf3Grlz929

Answer by MomOf3Grlz929 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• OMG. PM me if you need too. Just yesterday at my transvaginal ultrasound my baby measure 8 wks 5 days which is absolutely right on track, however no heartbeat. I'm having another ultrasound done today and a d&c afterwards if I receive the same results. I know right where you are. I feel empty and confused. I don't think I could have a dead baby in me for up to a month so my only option is d&c. I'm dreading it but praying for the best. Prayers.
    CaityMarie

Answer by CaityMarie at 3:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2011