Tiny townhouse front yard

This is our first summer in our new home, which is a townhouse with a teeny tiny front yard. I have no idea how to landscape it, and I know close to nothing about landscaping as I've never owned a home before. Internet searches are just overwhelming!

I'm not sure how to possibly landscape my yard because it gets the most insane direct sunlight for the first half of the day. I water my lawn almost every day but it's just burnt to a crisp. I'm thinking of hardscaping somehow but can't find any good ideas for such a small space.

By the way, I live in Northern Virginia. Summer is typically in the 90s and humid.

Help!

cypressandsage

Asked by cypressandsage at 2:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Where do you live is the first important question? Are you in Arizona or Texas, really hot right now. Do you know what type of grass you have? I don't understand the watering the lawn but it's still dying or frying in the baking sun? Is that what you're saying....DH & I do our own flower and shrub beds...I have some pics in my photo.....may not be your type of plants but...I can help in general from wht I know. We are in zone 9B or 10 here....that's the first thing you need to know in order to know what plants will do well and you won't waste your money on something pretty but won't do well in your zone year-round. let me know what you can..:D
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 2:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• LOL..you're RIGHT..internet searches on landscaping is a fright when you start digging around, :D
    KellyGirl_TX

• Sorry Kellygirl, I meant to include my location, haha! Just fixed it :)
    cypressandsage

Comment by cypressandsage (original poster) at 2:46 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I think for a small front yard, I would make an sitting area with patio squares to reduce the amount of grass needed. Then I would find some attractive drought tolerant plants and make a border, to 'enclose' the area for privacy. If you want to have lots of color, you can put large planting containers and those will help keep the water in the base of the planter, ie large ceramic vases/urns. When I lived in Colorado and watering a lawn was prohibited, people decorated their front lawn with different colored rock material. They saved the grass for the back yard and children.
    Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 1:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• http://www.landscapingideasonline.com/planting-zones.php
    Go here and type in your zip code ...it will tell you your planting zone , for starters.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 4:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Don't forget...if you ever want to resell it..most people want a yard. Select few are into no grass or all patio. Just fyi.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 5:00 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I think you're in zone 6B...google plants that do well in zone 6B...that will help narrow down what plants you can choose from ...also, your local Lowe's, Home Depot are generally only going to sell plants that are hardly for landscaping in your zone too....you might just take a walk through. Remember, little care or alot of care. The people who work there are usually full of knowledge. They are at ours.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 5:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• http://www.homeandgardenideas.com/gardening/plants/planting/best-plants-zone-6
    here's a good link for zone 6, might give you ideas. have you see pretty ideas in your neighborhood? I go by what others plant here that looks happy and healthy and blooming. I get ideas on porches, borders, planter boxes, flower or shrub beds etc. It takes time...it's def not an overnight sensation, LOL. A little effort and planning.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 5:10 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2011