Cat pee, wood floor

When we first bought our new home, our cat decided to pee in the entrance hall on our wood floors a couple of times. We've tried everything we can to get the smell out, but we just can't! After steam cleaning it several times, I finally thought it was gone. Then summer started, and the darn smell is back! My favorite trick for carpets is baking soda, but that won't get all up in the wood like it does with carpet. Is my only choice to replace the wood??

cypressandsage

Asked by cypressandsage at 2:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Unfortunately yes, at this point the only thing you can do is replace the wood.
    It's possible that any previous owners had a cat that peed in that spot, sadly cat urine is very destructive and eats through everything.
    I am currently renting a house, and the people who lived here before had a cat that peed in all the closets and in the corner of the living room. The Land Lord painting the hard wood floors in the closet (which did nothing) and we did everything we could think of to try and get rid of the smell. We even bleached the closets and it still did nothing. The Land Lord will have to replace the floors but he doesn't want to. And it stinks so bad when it gets hot and humid. I can't wait to move.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 2:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• You will probably have to replace the wood. Have you tried vinegar?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My cat did this, GRRRRR, so I pulled up the wood and put down ceramic tiles. If the ding dong cat makes a mess again, it will easy to clean up. I hate litter boxes and my cat is trained to go poop and pee in the toilet. But, she will soon be 18 years old and she could not make it in time to the bathroom.
    Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 1:11 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• You could try buying an "enzyme" killer...it kills enzymes so no odor....your floor is warming up some and it's causing the ammonia to smell.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/339073/remove_cat_urine_odor_and_stains_from.html

You can try vinegar, it's supposed to kill cat urine odor...try first in an inconspicuous place to check for staining? or also, I read peroxide gets rid of cat urine...I would spot check that too....that's a real toughy!!! GL!!! I'd be ticked off,LOL.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 4:54 PM on Jun. 25, 2011