Is She To Young???

Would you let your 12year old have a boyfriend? My DD will be 13 Jan. Her boyfriend is 13 and a son of one of our friends. I trust my DD and I know she will not do no wrong .Does anybody else let there young DD have a boyfreind?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• "Let" is an interesting verb. If she's emotionally attached to a boy, you aren't going to be able to stop that. Now, how much time they spend with each other - that's in your control. As long as their time together is supervised, I say go ahead and let them use the vocabulary they are comfortable with.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 3:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• A 'boyfriend' as a label implies an intimacy (NOT necessarily physical I know) that I would be uncomfortable for my 12 year old to have. I'd stick to calling him her friend and be mindful of just how much time and when and where they are together. They may well be lovely kids but our hearts are treacherous beasts at times. Proceed with caution. x
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 3:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My DD can't have a boyfriend till she is in at lease high school.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Well you can't stop her from saying he is her boy friedn but you can certainly be watching like a hawk! Dates with a chaperone and not letting them be a lone together.
    fourisplenty

Answer by fourisplenty at 3:15 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My dd had a "bf" when she was 13. They spent time in large groups of people but never alone. It certainly wasn't what I would call a BF. They held hands and that was the extent of it. I know this because my dd tells me everything and so do her friends. They aren't "together" anymore and she is "single" (LOL) but I never worried about it. I know and trust my dd. She has a great head on her shoulders and makes good decisions.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 3:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• i don't think you can control what they call each other, but that doesn't mean that you can't make sure they are safe and not "dating" alone.
    TameraZoli

Answer by TameraZoli at 3:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Absolutely not. My views have changed over the years about dating as a teenager. But when I believed in it the girls had to be 16. Now I believe that the only reason to have a boyfriend or to date is to get to know the person you may want to spend the rest of your life better.

Why would you even consider letting a child that young to have a boyfriend?
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 3:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• my daughters will not have a boyfriend until 16 yrs old!
    lattemom1

Answer by lattemom1 at 3:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I don't think a 12-year old wil have good judgement when it comes to the pressure a boy (even one you trust) will put on her. I think 12 is too young.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• They are more like friends and NEVER left alone. He is really a great kid and I'm glad that she is Friends with him...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2011