4yrs. old and a puppy

Ok I got my puppy but my 4 yr old doesn't understand she is not a rag doll. He tries to play rough with her, he takes her toys away, he tries to pick her up and carry her around and he pins her in places and calls it her dog house. I caught him putting her in his toybox and closing the lid. I don't know what to do to make him understand to leave her alone. Yes I spank and I tried spanking him, sending him to his room, giving him a time out, putting her outside until he can leave her alone, playing with her so he can watch me, and just trying to explain things to him. Nothing is working. What do I need to do?

Kimkh

Asked by Kimkh at 3:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Pets

• Maybe separate the two of them for a while. Does he enjoy actually playing with the puppy? Or is he constantly just tormenting it? Maybe if he learns that if he can't play nice, then he can't play with the dog. With our kids (2-13) taking away what they WANT usually teaches them a lesson) Good luck!
    KTurner4

Answer by KTurner4 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Some things, like the taking the toys away you can do to him and show him how it feels. Point out that it made him sad and that is what he is doing to the puppy. You have to just stay on top of him and show him. Show him how to treat the puppy the correct way. Petting, brushing, etc.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 3:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Hmm. My daughter is pretty rough with our cat. What I try to do is explain to her that Bella (our cat) is small and that means her body is much more breakable. We don't want to break her or hurt her. It's a little easier with the cat though because she won't come near my daughter some days. I try to explain that the kitty will be more friendly and love her if she is gentle with her and careful.

Maybe ask your son why he is so rough? My son is also 4 and he understands to be careful with the cat. I think at 4, you could probably have a conversation and find out why he is so rough with your puppy.

Good luck!!
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 3:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I don't think he realizes he is being rough bc when I ask him y he does it he tells me a good 4yr. old reason. I asked him y he put her in his toy box and he said it can be her dog house. I really think he is trying his own way to take care of her.
    Kimkh

Comment by Kimkh (original poster) at 3:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I wouldn't spank him, but never leave them unsupervised. Leave the dog in the crate when you aren't watching.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• tell him that it is nice of him to try and take care of the puppy, but that he is being too rough and if he wants to play/take care of the puppy, he should ask you first. maybe take him to the pet store so that he can help buy a dog bed or crate/house... maybe showing him the right ways and not letting him play with the puppy until he can do that...
    TameraZoli

Answer by TameraZoli at 3:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I would try to just talk to him & try to make him understand & yes i agree with taking the puppy away. I tell my son he has to be nice the dog has feelings or the doggie might bite you! I say would you want the doggie to smack you he says no & i have him apologize to the puppy lol. i just try to get him to understand he might hurt the puppy. & i also put the puppy outside & say if you cant play nice then you cant play with him right now.
    jennifer_oakley

Answer by jennifer_oakley at 5:57 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Also if you have any babies around compre te ppy to the baby & he might understand the puppy is a baby. you have to be easy
    jennifer_oakley

Answer by jennifer_oakley at 5:58 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Never leave any pet alone with a young child. They have no concept of what they are doing. Monitor the time he has with the puppy. Immediately put puppy on his kennel and shut it down when the roughness happens. Tell your son he will not play with him if he plays rough.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• teach him to use "gentle" hands when around the puppy
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 4:18 PM on Jun. 26, 2011