Can anybody tell me what they pay for childcare? I'm tossing around home daycare versus big daycare. Thanks!!

Some people have told me they pay as much as 250 a week for the big daycares, and my friends that use smaller home daycare say 150-175 max per week. I was planning on something like 30$ a day, but do the upfront costs cover the food for the day? Would it be a lot more than that? It might not be worth my going back to work if its much more....

Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• My sitter charges $22 for my 6 and 4 year olds each and $25 for my baby per day-- so it would equal $69 per day & $345 per week
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:21 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I pay $250 per week at a small home daycare. She is amazingly wonderful with a long waiting list.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• $500 a month for a 1 year old.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 3:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• My twins are in a small private daycare center (about 50 kids total and 8 caregivers including the owner). We live in a low cost of living area and our center is also on the low end of the cost scale. The regular rate is $105 per week per child, but I get a $10 discount for having two. Our center provides breakfast, lunch, and a snack.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I have an in-home daycare and I charge $28/day with all food but breakfast included.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 3:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• You will probably have to find a babysitter that is wiling to work for that. I just called around for summer care for our oldest two who are 6 and 9 at a "big daycare" $185/week that includes food, plus $65 registration fee and $45 field trip fee, oh and that price is per kid! I laughed and hung up. Our DD 5mo goes to a big daycare here where we work (military installation) we pay based on income. Financially and mentally if you can afford to not work, I wouldn't :)
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• well, i pay about $25 a day for my 2yr old. but it goes down as she ages and once she is potty trained. all meals are included. i do provide her with some food and when she was younger she did bring her formula/baby food in jars. its a in home centre. its great. its a family business so its run out of the house and the mother and daughter and the daughter's sister in law also work there so its a very family orginated area. there is about 15-20kids there. but sometimes alot less. its more like a family then a centre. they also babysit for us when i have to do stuff after hours or on the weekend. the daughter has teenager daughters that babysit. so its great. and i hear all the time about kids getting sick so much and mine hardly does. she has been going there since she was about 12weeks old.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 3:57 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• It all depends on your area. Our area ( I live in northern Indiana, about 30 mins south on notre dame) daycares re typically 100-125 a week. You also have to consider that the bigger daycares are held to higher standards than the smaller home daycares. Depending on what you mean by smaller ( less than 5 kids in indiana requires no license) a center is ran by someone with a 4 year degree, and they are able to have more kids. A class a home daycare is a daycare in a business area and can have so many children and so many helpers. A class b daycare is a daycare ran out of a home or other building with less kids pre adult... You can look on your local county's website to see what daycare are where and what their requirements are....
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• DD is in a home based licesened daycare. She goes 3 days a week and every two weeks I pay $108. MUCH cheaper than the $150/week the bug daycares in our area charge
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 6:14 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I paid $137/wk for FT M-F care. My home DCP provided all meals and snacks, activities, etc. She was licensed and certified as well. Centers out here charge OVER $200 a week easy. Some charge close to $300/wk.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:47 PM on Jun. 24, 2011