Have you ever bought yourself something you really wanted but felt you had to hide it from your DH/SO??

credit cardI think that out of everyone....MOMS do without alot of things for their family...especially their children. We just naturally want to 'give' to them unconditionally everything we can whether it's hugs and love or toys, toys, toys to make their little lives fun and exciting. We love to see their happy shining little faces with a new toy or something they wanted.. BUT, ...

Have you ever just really felt like you wanted something for yourself sometimes,but felt guilty about buying it for yourself ,,so you you buy it, put it away someplace and never told your dh/so that you bought it. Maybe left it in the back of the closet or under the bed for awhile and when you did bring it out finally ....no one was the wiser.

I have done that....I love purses by Coach. Every couple of years I get an "itch" to have a real handbag that I feel I'm worth( I rarely get anything)....but, I'm just afraid to come out and say "Hey, look what I bought for myself for a change". I guess I think someone in my family will think I'm selfish because I actually bought ME something this time instead. I make myself feel guilty?  I wish I didn't have this feeling hanging over me, but I do.

**I suppose I'd better clarify that the Coach bag was at a huge discount(a delayed purchase)not right when it hit the market and we can afford it. My point is just that...I guess I don't know why I guilt trip myself when everyone else in my family gets everything they want.  Game systems, iphones etc. We are not rich but do not struggle either. I've had my share of Walmart purses over the years, believe me, but I like nice things too once in awhile.

Why does this seem wrong? Have you felt this way or done this? or Am I really the only one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Shopping

• I admit I have a hard time buying myself things, but my husband was never upset when I did. He was constantly telling me to go buy myself something special.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 4:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I used to but now I don't. I so rarely buy things for me, while DH buys pretty much watever he wants, that if I want some little thing for me and we have the money, I buy it.
    Anonymous

• If it was something like a Coach purse(which I would NEVER buy) then YES! My DH would hit the ceiling if I bought something like that for so much money when I can have a good purse that's pretty and works for WAY WAY WAY less than that. But normal stuff- no way. I don't buy things for myself that often, and DH usually says he has x amount set aside to use for whatever I want, but as with every mom, I usually spend it on the kids. lol
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 4:09 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• No.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 3:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Why does this seem wrong? Perhaps because you know there are bags out there for a 1/5 the price which would function just as well and the surplus money could be spent more widely (wisely?). You don't need a hideously priced bag. You feel abd because you just plain want it. But, . . . If your finances can handle it, enjoy your yummy bag, Mama! Pats on the back come in all shapes and sizes (clasps and pockets ;0). x
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 3:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Eh, not really. My hubby does not care what I spend my 'extra' money on (if there is any after groceries and bills get paid). Sometimes he will roll his eyes and make comment if I bring home more yarn (as I have a lot of it already) or about my books, but that is about it.
    My sis used to do the shop and hide thing.... she would buy all kinds of nice, new, brand name clothes and then sneak them into the house, hide them in the back of the closet and slowly bring them out one at a time. Then when her husband would demand "where did you get that? Is it new?" she would say "no, I have had this for a while" and he was none the wiser (that it actually was new).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:27 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• i never hide nothing from my dh.he sees everything i buy
    diana398

Answer by diana398 at 11:51 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• no
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2011