For moms who get CS.

When we divorced, we set up CS. It was a little less than the state mandated 20% and at the time I could care less.
We were agreeable and getting along.
When I petitioned to move across state lines (10 additional miles away), XH decided to throw a fit and contest it 3 times. That cost additional money when I had already told him that we could work it out peacefully. Because he wanted to still 'control' me, he became an ass at which point I calmly told him that if he just wanted to make me spend money, I would make it worse by going for more CS every chance I got.
Well, it's that time. I didn't immediately file since I knew that he would soon be getting a raise. He now has it and I'm just wondering if you would go back for more for this amount.

Right now he only pays $70 a week (based upon his income) total of 3640.00 a year. That is $5.52 a week less than he should pay. If I take him for more (with his raise) it will only be $1.81 more for a total of 7.53 a week. That equals 391.56 a year. Next year I doubt he gets much more of a raise but should I wait or not?
This isn't about the money for me...he pushed and I am getting him back for being a jerk. May sound childish but I did warn him and had no intentions of ever going for more (which I told him when we agreed on the lesser amount).

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• I should add that the move did not alter the visitation in any way and I even gave him more time in the summer with her since when she goes to school, it would change thru the week. I also agreed to meet him halfway on drop off days.
    Jademom07

Comment by Jademom07 (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• It SHOULD be about the money and not about him pushing. That money is for your child not you. I would get every dime I could for my child. I wouldn't wait. I wouldn't punish him for being a jerk. I'd just get what my child deserves.
    Anonymous

• Anon, I say that it's not about the money because he does buy her things that she needs and wants and I can buy her anything that she needs or wants.

But I do understand your point.
    Jademom07

Comment by Jademom07 (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• i wouldn't even bother for such a small amount of money. it would be a waste of the court's time.
    glam.fairy

Answer by glam.fairy at 4:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Maybe I am doing my math wrong but if he makes $36,400 a year and the state mandate is 20% wouldn't that make it $140 a week? If that is correct and he is only paying $70 a week, then yes I would go for more.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 4:25 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• WHAT is C.S. ??? CAn't you just SPELL OUT the words?
    Cafe Mom is drivng me crazy with everyone using abbreviations ....asking the same questions day after day, most of the answers available at Google.
    WHat a waste of time......
    Anonymous

• I believe CS is Child Support. I don't know how much he makes a year, but really $70 a week? What the heck can you do with that little amount of money? I guess I got lucky, I got $1500 a month per child, two children. Plus I sued for alimony, too. My dang exh did me dirty, and I paid through the nose for my attorney, but she got me every dime she could. We also had an agreement that if I remained in the State where we lived, he would pay 1/2 of the children's college education.. I stayed here, but I ended up paying for college in full myself for both children. My dang exh also said he was going to stay in State, but promptly moved to another State within days of the divorce being final.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Well, I see it this way...you are certainly entitled to help care for your child by receiving the max he owes.

I wouldn't do it out of spite. Two wrongs don't make a right and doing it just to be hateful doesn't make you any better than him. If you're going to do it, do it for the extra money, which by what you said, doesn't seem worth the effort.

Either way, it's your choice and your life! Just saying what I would do.
    AmeliasMommy206

Answer by AmeliasMommy206 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

He pays $3640 a year
    Jademom07

Comment by Jademom07 (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2011