What do you do if you don't want your kid to play with a friend's kid?

I'm friendly with a mom who is a really nice person, but her child is so wild and unruly that playdates are miserable whether at home or at the park. My LO is lively and active so I expect plenty of silliness when he plays with a friend, but this child is rough, throws toys, pushes, and has no sense of boundaries-eats my LO's snack, digs through things, throws toys, runs off, climbs all over me if I'm in the way, like if I'm sitting on the ground or on a bench. This is a big four year old. Mom stays with him. but mostly just expects him to hug and say he's sorry for whatever he does. When her kid is climbing on me, she says he is affectionate. Last time he threw a toy which hit me in the face hard enough to leave a mark. Mom said he has a good throwing arm. I don't want to hurt her feelings, and have been avoiding playdates lately, but I'm running out of excuses.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I know exactly how you feel......My only friend that has a child my DD's age doesn't believe in disciplining her child in front of other people. ...You can only imagine how his behavior can get. I've seen him walk up and slap her in the face because she told him that he couldn't watch a tv show, at which point she looked at me and said, well can he just watch it if he's this upset! WTF! I said hell NO! I just started taking it upon myself to verbally remind him of what I think is and isn't acceptable behavior within my house. I don't discipline him for not listening to me, but sometimes it's enough that his Mom will step up and do it. Just remind her what the rules are in your house and ask her to have him follow the rules so that he doesn't set a bad example for your children. You might lose a friend, but that's better than having your kids immulate his behavior isn't it?
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 4:16 PM on Jun. 24, 2011