Do any of you get migraines?

I have been getting almost daily migraine headaches. I have seen a few doctors and now a neurologist. They have put me on all sorts of antidepressants and nothing has helped the headaches. Now I am going to be taking Maxalt (I know this works for me. I took it years ago and it worked wonders if I caught the headache early). The problem is my insurance...I have a $200.00 deductible. I will have to pay that for the frist NINE pills. I will have to pay $50.00 for every NINE after that. I also can only get nine each month. With almost daily migraines that isn't much. I have had tests done (MRI's, EEG, you name it) and everything is normal. I was just told some people just have to deal with it. What are some of the things that I can do without meds to help? I lay down in a very dark and quiet room etc but what am I missing?

zoomomto3

Asked by zoomomto3 at 4:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Health

• Antidepressants? That's ridiculous, it's not because you are depressed. Anyway, one of the reasons for migraines is low magnesium. You can take a magnesium supplement.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I have migraines also they started when I was about 15. Most recently I have used rubbing alcohol the smell eases the discomfort. That is the only remedy I know.

BillieHolidae

Answer by BillieHolidae at 4:22 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Have you had the doc look into anti seizure meds? Same part of the brain can be affected and that worked for me.
    The only other thing is hot pad on my forehead, iceback on the back of my head. 4 IBprohen/4 asprin. And a nap. Good luck
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 4:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I use to get migrains all the time so did my Mom, and we never took any antidepressants, I think it cause more issues and cost lots of money! But, I would say that what can the antidepressants do for you. One thing is to make sure you are getting plently of water. Be sure to keep pushing the doctors if your not getting answers!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 5:02 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I am on news groups and have seen more than 1 doctor about this problem and antidepressants is a VERY commonly prescribed solution to migraines. It is usually the 1st thing they try. They are used as a common preventative.
    zoomomto3

Comment by zoomomto3 (original poster) at 5:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Get off the anti depressants, and get off any hormonal birth control if you are on one. Watch caffeine intake, as well as vinegar, cheeses, chocolate, and garlic/onions.
    Try naproxen as opposed to tylenol or excedrin. It is a better anti inflammatory, and is the ingredient found in migraine meds such as Imitrex and Treximet.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• This book changed my life...I've been getting migraines since childhood and the HARP method really helped.

http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Headache-Cycle-Preventing-Recurring/dp/0805072217

H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 1:45 AM on Jun. 25, 2011