When should you begin to talk about puberty with your daughter?

My little girl is 7 I have another one that is 4. Both of them are starting to mature really early, high hormone levels. I think I want to have "the talk" in chapters. I mean her period has not started yet but it is possible that it will before she turns ten and she is going to turn eight soon. Open for suggestions and experiences.

BillieHolidae

Asked by BillieHolidae at 4:18 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I got the American Girl book "The Care and Keeping of Me" and we read it together. I added basic biology information as she aged.

Answer by missanc at 4:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I am not sure, but I would like to know that to since I have all girls lol. I have a 6 year old, a 3 year old and another girl due in almost a month
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I have always talked to my DD about her period in ways she could understand. When she was little she would aks about my my boo-boo "that is what she called it." I would explain that it didn't hurt and it was normal. Now she is 9 almost and 10 and she will probably have her period within 1 year. I remember the first time I found out she had hair, I was like wow and she said "I've had that for a while now." Anyway I did get the American Girl book that talks about your body and found she liked this. I have expalined to her that it is normal to get and that you have it once a month and it last for a few days. I kind of let her ask the questions as she has them. I do have a friend whose DD thought she only got it once, she didn't realize it was every month so I wanted to make sure she knew that. There are 3 things that need to line up before they get it, pubic hair, weight at 100 lbs and breast buds..Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 4:30 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I think each child is different but I started at 7 and 8 with my older kids.
    Madelaine

Answer by Madelaine at 5:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• All kids are different, but I would not rush with them, my concern is "high hormone levels" Why do you think they have this? I realize puberty begins earlier, but this seems a little young to me.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 6:04 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I'm not sure since I dont have girls, but good luck.
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I wouldnt rush with her. Maybe slowly give her information... Is she curious what a pad or tampon is when you go to the store and buy them? start there!
    DomsMama07

Answer by DomsMama07 at 1:14 AM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I think you need to take ques from each individual child when it comes to that topic. When my dd started asking in-depth questions I knew it was time. So we had "the talk" when she was 8.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 12:05 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I think that is a good age to start out... I prefer to have conversations in small doses rather than one BIG talk.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:40 AM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I've talked about puberty with my daughter since she was old enough to talk..started with body parts and we've talked about periods because she's seen my tampon box in the bathroom....she's seen me shave my legs ect....so I just am open and honest with her with any questions she has. She'll be 7 next month. Oh I also make sure to tell her that what we talk about is for home, not school as some other parents may get upset with you if your child goes to school telling other little kids about a period or what not. ;) Good luck.
    drpepper73

Answer by drpepper73 at 8:40 AM on Jun. 29, 2011