How do you know when your daughter is about to start going through puberty?

I mean can you tell when they are about to start going through it? What about periods? Does the girl (child) normally follow in the fathers or the mothers footsteps? The reason I ask is cause I was late Not sure how old I was when I started getting boobs or hairy legs and stuff, but I started my period a month after turning 14, but yet my sister started at 12 and my mom was I think 13. Plus my family is small chested. My dh's family however everyone in that family is big chested. And they all had there periods around 11 or 12.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• They usually start getting pubic hair and might even start developing some breasts but nothing major (think training bra). Mine had mood swings and I knew she was probably close. God bless her I was 7-8 months pregnant with her brother when she got hers at almost 11 at the mall with her brothers in tow. She was so embarrassed and asked me to tell people the pads were mine. I told her honey I dont think theyd buy it.

Answer by gemgem at 4:41 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Usually girls follow threads genes.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 4:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• all girls are different. I have a sister, with big boobs and she started at an earlier age than i did. I was late and small chested. She's very hairy and I am not. So who knows. but She might start having mood swings, and bloating and cramping. I didn't shave my legs till i was 14. Good luck.
    katie201005

Answer by katie201005 at 5:06 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Right before my sd started I just knew. I went and bought a box of pads, explained how to use them and showed her where they would be kept...it was an intuition thing but she somehow seemed different.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 2:06 AM on Jun. 25, 2011