How much will you be spending on your kids for back to school clothes and supplies?

I have 6 weeks to prepare but I don't think that will give me much time to get 3 kids completely prepared for school... That is sooooo expensive!

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 4:59 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in

• I have 2 kids in school, im estimating it to be prob $200 a piece for clothes,shoes and supplies.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I guess the question is how much do you have to spend and go from there?

Thrift stores, garage sales, resale shops can be so much fun for kiddos!!! I might consider buying their school supplies from staples catalog because they give you $25 back if you spend $100.

Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 5:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Clothes I have spent approximately $20 on for 3 kids for preschool & K. All yard sale but looks brand new. Book bags already bought same way $1.50. Already have some of the school supplies needed but will stock up on the basics when they have the cost leaders out. I refuse to pay $2 for a box of crayons that I can get 3/$1 in a month. All total for the 3 I am estimating $70 but that's because they will need new shoes for school.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 5:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• a little over $200. My kids wear uniforms. I will be shopping at The Childrens Place since I already have 4 coupons there.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 5:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• With any luck nothing. He doesn't need any clothes and I am hoping a community program will be able to help with supplies if out money situation doesn't pick up.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I homeschool. So, we wont get clothes until it starts to get cold again. We still have some supplies left over and we do a lot on the computer or hands on outside. So, about $100 to get started.
    SweetPea726

Answer by SweetPea726 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Oye! , it will be my sons first year or preschool!!! Makes me a little sad just just thinking about it. But when the time comes, I will get him what he needs. Although I will probably start buying some of his clothes in a few weeks, since typically he doesn't get new clothes until later in the fall.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 5:02 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• not sure, but more than last year. My dd will be starting first grade. Her school has uniforms you have to buy which that helps cause you don't need to buy many. But once a month the last friday and also if they ear it they can have a non uniform day so she needs regular clothes as well. Plus she has no winter clothes cause she went through a growth spurt as did my 3 year old. So I have to buy her and my 3 year old a whole new wardrobe lol and then uniforms for my oldest as well as new coat for the 2 and a new book bag for my oldest and school supplies and jammies so I am looking at a lot probably lol.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• oh ya I forgot new shoes as well for the both and undies and socks lol
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• For me the classroom supplies like notebooks and pencils are not at all expensive. I spent under $10, including markers and pencil box and everything last year for my 2nd grader. However I will not send her to school with anything next year. Yes I will be able to afford it, but at her school, they have to bring extras of certain things like pencils and notebooks and folders and we are told that they are for our own child to use, but in reality they want them to bring extras to give to the kids whose parents who are too lazy to buy a 30 cent notebook for their child. The school gets huge donations from local businesses of money, notebooks, printer paper, hand sanitizer, glue, crayons, markers, folders, tissues, and paints but they don't use them, they just continue to stockpile them in the basement and make people like me provide for the kids who don't bring stuff.
    Anonymous