Isn't my 3 year old to old to be doing this?

She will be 3.5 next month on the 11 and she still puts everything in her mouth. Like coins, small toys everything. Also if you aren't watching her she will get into the toothpaste and eat it, she will get into the hand sanitizer and eat it, and eat crayons, markers, stamps. No matter what it is she will try eating it. Isn't this a little old to still be doing this stuff? How can I get her to stop doing this stuff? She also still gets into everything and I mean everything.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• she could have pica, you might want to talk to your doctor, its a definencey that some kids have
    jenn660

Answer by jenn660 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• She should learn that some things are off limits and that learning should have started well before now. My daughter is nearly 3 and the only time she does things she should not do is when she's really tired and seeking attention. When she's happy and just playing, she's very aware of the rules and doesn't do things she knows are dangerous or not allowed. She also only rarely puts things in her mouth. So yes, I think your daughter should have outgrown that sort of behaviour by now. I know some kids learn things at different rates, but I would be a bit concerned. Maybe talk to her doctor? I'm not sure what it could be, but maybe the doctor could shed some light on it.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 5:17 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• she could be doing it for attention. Why is everything that is dangerous where she can reach it? move it up high then u don't have to worry about that!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 5:20 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I have tought her stuff is off limits and she still does this stuff. She is so bad. I use to think she had autism or something but doctor ussured she doesn't so I don't know if she is a strong willed child or what, but she doesn't listen what so ever. You tell her to help clean she will not help what so ever. Spanking her butt, timeouts and taking things away doesn't work. My oldest is 6 and she wasn't nearly as bad as she is. But the things she does at times it seems like she is a little slow. Not sure if she is or what.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Maybe you need to rethink your teaching techniques. Spanking and timeouts do not work with all kids, if fact in my experience they really don't work well at all. Try to understand why your little girl is doing what she's doing, spend time seeing things through her eyes, and try to "connect" with her. Talk to her, and explain things rather than just punishing when she does something wrong. You might be right that she's a bit slow, but even if she is, it's important that she learn. Oh, and also being a bit slow to learn these things as a toddler doesn't mean she is stupid, generally. She might surprise you with how quickly she learns in school and later on. I've noticed with my kids that the ones who seemed smart as little ones are not necessarily the ones who do well later on.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 5:28 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• it is up. I am just saying she will do this stuff and sometimes she will climb to get it. My bathroom is only so big. If you put it on the shelf she will climb on the toilet and get it and if it is in the medicine cabinet again she will climb on the toilet then the sink and get it. I can't lock the bathroom door cause she is potty trained and doesn't tell me she has to go she just goes. I put the hand sanitizer on the very top of my dresser I thought she couldn't reach she climbed my dresser. I put it in the closet she climbs the closet shelves. I even had it on the dridge onetime thought she couldn't get it. 3 times I cought her getting up there. One time was when I had a highchair in the kitchen (for nephew) she pushed it to the fridge and climbed it so I put it away. Another time we have a wooden trash can she pushed over and got up on it and one time I seen her climb the shelves in the fridge on the door
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• sometimes too talking to her she doesn't understand. If I go ask her to get something like a broom she will look around and say she can't find it. And it is right behind her. I will ask her to get my purse she brings me something else. She has had her hearing checked.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Yes, I believe she is absolutley too old to be still putting things in her mouth. But as every doctor would say, kids develop and learn at different rates. So yes maybe you should ask her pediatrician about her actions and she/he can probably give you a little tricks to the trade on getting rid of the bad habits. Good Luck =)
    LaddiPatrone

Answer by LaddiPatrone at 5:33 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• oh ya and if you aren't watching her outside ( I sit n the porch, but I have to keep my eye on her) she will take off. And if I give her a regular cup (she hasn't been on sippies since a little over 2.5) she puts her hand in the cup and plays in her drinks
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:35 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• oh and if she is eating crackers or chips or whatever and drops one on the floor she will stomp on it and crunch it in the floor or if you aren't paying attention she will even do it on the chair
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:36 PM on Jun. 24, 2011