How do I get my kids t(6 and 3) to be good in public or at someones house?

my kids are so bad when we go some place. Almost embarrassing bad. I can tell them to be good before we go into the place we are going into and they are still bad. I mean like running around being hyper or my youngest is crying cause she doesn't get what she wants. At someones house if my kids are playing with one of the adults and they say that is enough they don't listen you have to tell them like 10 times no more. We go to someones house they are asking for a cookie or asking for this or that. Or they will even ask if they can take a toy home that they have there. I tell them how rude that is and they still do it. Like for instants. I am having a baby in august my neigbor is watching my kids when I have this baby and the other day my 6 year old in front of me asked her if she could take them to the store to get a toy. So later on when we came in the house I brought it up to her and told her how rude that is and you don't ask for things. But she still does. I don't know why they are like that because we rarly ever get them things they want at the store and we never buy them toys.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in General Parenting

• We run our household like the military, so our kids are (usually) pretty good out in public. It helps to speak with them immediately b/c putting it of even a few minutes loses its effect. Also, timeouts work wonders. So do evil glares. ;)
    SarahSmile81

Answer by SarahSmile81 at 5:37 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• actually timeouts donot work for my 3 year old. I can't get anything to work with her.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I spanked mine's butts at home, and they knew they were apt to get in trouble if they misbehaved anywhere else, just like they did at home. I think how you train them at home is how they behave when you take them somewhere else. There can't be two standards of behavior. That will only confuse a little child.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:03 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• i would reward good behavior and really work on what they are doing right and reall praise them on the good rather then thinking about them misbehaving. my dd is 2 but i try to really talk to her on her leave and we do leave the situation if she is really getting out of hand. i never put her in time out but she goes to daycare and she knows what it is. she never been herself but she has seen other children what it is. so i try to really teach her and really praise her for what she is doing well. you have two different age groups to work with that is tough. what might work with the older is not going to work with the little one. so you have your handsful with that one. but you need to really be consistent with discpline at home and away from home that is what i do. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2011