Tell me not to feel guilty...or I guess you can tell me to feel guilty if I should...anyway...

So we have no money. Bills are behind, I have not been able to find a job, we have been accepted for food stamps, Dh is looking for better work, our house is about to be foreclosed on...

Well, we had plans all year to go to the mountains with the in-laws as well as some other family members. No cost to us. No food cost, not helping with the cabin... nothing but the gas to get there (4 hour drive) Well I said we would not go but then some of you pointed out we would still have to pay for gas if we stayed Plus DH got $110 for his birthday for gas money... why do I still feel guilty for going? Should I? Everyone keeps saying we deserve the break but do we really? Vacations are for people with money right? I don't want to be that person on food stamps but still has nice things. If I am going to be broke then spending money on gas seems stupid to me... BTW DH does get paid time off.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 5:26 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Money & Work

• I can see it either way. You were given money for gas, so I wouldn't worry about that (as long as it was enough). Your DH is still getting paid regardless, so that's good, too.
    What I'd worry about is extra spending $$. I'd sit down with DH and make an agreement on how you'll spend your extra time (like NOT in a mall). Take games and movies with you. Also, some good shoes for hiking or whatever. Look up parks in advance, etc. and come up with a "to do" list.
    Spending money is very likely to happen, so set up a budget and stick to it no matter what. If you do that, there's no reason not to go! Have fun! :o)
    SarahSmile81

Answer by SarahSmile81 at 5:32 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• I would go and destress. We ll need a break now and again
    carolhas2kids

Answer by carolhas2kids at 5:39 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Believe it or not we all deserve to be rich, for the exact experiences you are about to have. Relationships are the most important aspect of life, go ENJOY & be GRATEFUL for the ebt, gas & abilty to be with people you love!!
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 7:04 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• What a blessing to have family that loves you, supports you and wants you to be with them!

It sounds like really you will SAVE money by going on this trip. If they are providing food, housing (you still have mortgage/rent, but your water and electricity will drop for the week!) and entertainment, you really shouldn't worry too much about a tank of gas each way (that's 4 hours for us).

Don't feel guilty. Feel grateful, but not guilty.

If it helps, don't think of it as a vacation; think of it as a family obligation. ;-)
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 7:45 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Sounds like its meant to be,have fun!
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 1:47 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• Go! Have fun and don't overanalyze a good thing...perhaps the universe is rewarding you?
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 1:50 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• don't feel bad
    wish4you

Answer by wish4you at 1:52 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• It sounds like the time away may be just what you need. Your issues will be there when you return. Why should you feel guilty for needing a mental health break?
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 1:54 AM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I wouldn't feel bad! First off, that money was given to you with intentions to use it for gas, secondly, you deserve time to de-stress, trust me, my dh and I have been in the same boat you are in right now, our house foreclosed a month ago, and we now live in lowincome, unfortunatly, but had I been given a chance to get away... I would have! Enjoy yourself! You deserve it!
    babygrlsmommy

Answer by babygrlsmommy at 12:02 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• I would go and have fun and try to put the home worries at home I wouldn't feel bad about going either if you guys have it all planned and everything then just go and have fun and enjoy yourself. You are very blessed to have family that care about you that much to help you take a well deserved trip.

I know how stressful it is when your house is going into foreclosure we just went through this and had to move which was very stressful and upsetting for both my husband and I; because he did everything in his power to save the house but the bank we had our mortgage through was unwilling to help us and kept giving us all kinds of excuses; but now that we are moved our old neighbors, husbands co-workers and I have already noticed a difference in my husbands attitude and everything.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 9:39 AM on Jun. 27, 2011