Do you think it is rude..

When people go online (whether it be a forum or a classifieds site like Craigslist) and ask for free things?I'm not talking about food because their child is hungry, either. I'm seeing this more and more, where people say they are poor, no money and want these things because Tommy wants them for his birthday and list everything their child wants. I see it a lot for birthdays and Christmas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:34 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in Shopping

• If it is a forum set up specifically for that I see nothing wrong with it. Anywhere else it is not rude but tacky.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 5:38 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Eh. I don't think it's necessarily rude, but it's definitely not in good taste. If you don't have money, you should be able to explain to your children that you can't buy everything they want for their birthday. Unfortunately, people get desperate and do those things. I couldn't ask for hand-outs, no matter how badly we were doing financially.
    lizmartinez

Answer by lizmartinez at 5:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• Like the PP, I don't know that it's rude. I think it's tacky. I wouldn't do it. I just seen one on there today where someone bought all the stuff to plant a garden and didn't have the money to rent a rototiller so they were asking if someone would come do it for free. It's only $25 to rent one here. I thought it was a little weird.

What really annoys me is when I post something on Craigslist for sale and people actually email you and say well I don't want to pay for it, but if you want to get rid of it, I'll take it for free. Really?? If I wanted to give it away, I would have listed it in the freebie section.
    marybeth927

Answer by marybeth927 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

• idk, most people wont donate i use craigslist ALOT & people email me alot asking for donations & i never do it. i would if i knew it was true but. you never know. i have been in bad positions & i find help in other places! but they have places to go for free baby stuff! & i mean tons of programs!! you can ask your doctor for refferals!! they will give you numbers, addresses all the info you need!! I am only 20 years old two kids & engaged i would never ask for help on there. you just have to use your resources. how hard is it to find a job i mean really if you have a child then you should know what to do with it!
    jennifer_oakley

Answer by jennifer_oakley at 10:42 PM on Jun. 25, 2011

• We are living in a difficult economy.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:44 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• bump
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 11:45 PM on Jun. 26, 2011

• I guess they figure what does it hurt to ask?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I don't think it is necessarily rude tacky but not rude
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 2, 2011