Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to pay for MY college....

Ok so im 19 and had a baby 4 months ago. While i was pregnant i was taking online classes and kind of got behind and then when i had my daughter i really got behind and kinda gave up. I didnt know I'd lose my pell grant after i dropped my classes :( I want to return to school in the Fall and finish out my degree.. I cant get a fed pell grant or fed loan bc my gpa fell to low. Does anyone know of anything else i could possibly do bc i cant get a private loan bc i have no cosigner and my fiance is the only one working in the household. I know, i sound helpless but does anyone know anything to help me? i live in ms if thts any help to you.. Thanks!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Jun. 24, 2011 in

Answers (8)
  • Call the school you've attended and ask to speak with a financial aid advisor.


    Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 5:53 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

  • talked to them they told me they cant offer me any help til i bring up my grades but i cant do that bc i cant pay for college!

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:54 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

  • There are various programs for single moms. When I was in school I got a scholarship from a women's sorority that paid for one semester, but I don't remember the name of the sorority - you could google single mom scholarships and see what comes up. I know different states sometimes have programs for their residents as well.

    Answer by missanc at 6:00 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

  • thanks! i just need it til i can bring my grades up enough to get another pell!

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

  • This happened to me a long time ago. I contacted the financial aid officer. The pell grant wasn't so forgiving, but I ended up being able to get the student loans. They just had to file some paperwork and I was placed on academic probation for awhile. My GPA had to stay good and if it dropped, I lost the loans for good.

    Answer by marybeth927 at 6:07 PM on Jun. 24, 2011

  • apply for a federal student loan,might help.Good luck w/ ya!

    Answer by inahan at 5:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

  • Take classes at a community college, and get your GPA up.

    Answer by rkoloms at 10:43 AM on Jul. 4, 2011

  • WWW.FASTWEB.COM helps with a lot of scholarships etc. to pay for schooling...

    Answer by momof2redhedz at 4:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.